scuba gear needed

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by martinkeyser, 3 Jan 2010.

1. martinkeyser

martinkeyser

hi all

we saw the maurituis pics, and are now really excited to start scuba diving, can anyone help with what all is needed to start off, best places to buy the gear at the best prices?

Can anyone help

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

Have you bought anything Bid or Buy - try them I got some great deals through them or Mr Price Sports / Sportmans warehouse - Also try to find a Dive club - They usually sell good second hand stuff and brand new and would be able to size and give you the best advice on equipment

4. martinkeyser

martinkeyser Thread Starter

thanks will go and check it out on bid or buy now, do you know of any dive shops in JHB that we could go and take a look at?

Do you dive? what equipment is needed?

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

6. lIghty

lIghty

Perhaps check the classifieds section, think Leslie was selling something?

7. martinkeyser

thanks, the link looks great, we have taken the the details for the sandton scuba, and will go and take a llok there in the week.

8. chikaboo

chikaboo

Are you living in Secunda past Standerton?

9. martinkeyser

yip, that`s the place.....
    why?

10. chikaboo

chikaboo

Is it not a shorter distance here to Newcastle - we have a great dive club here called Dive Den and being a laid back town our prices here are not as fancy as some of the bigger centres.... They also have very regular trips to the coast for dives - Here's a link to their site : http://www.diveden.co.za/index.html

11. martinkeyser

that sounds geat, how far is newcastle from standerton? i`m sure jhb is closer....

12. chikaboo

chikaboo

129 KM's in total - towards Perdekop then to Volksrust then Newcastle

13. martinkeyser

and secunda is another 60 from standertom, sounds like we`ll be taking a trip to newcastle soon.... i thought that was a one horse town... didn`t think you`d have a diving club there..

14. chikaboo

chikaboo

Check their website out very cool and I know the owner personally (he is a customer of mine) Also very big into martial arts - When you ready pm me your number and we'll meet up and introduce you to him - Technically speaking Joburg is closer by 20 odd km's but I think you will get better prices here on equipment and Newcastle closer to the sea when the club goes out to dive

15. martinkeyser

the website is fab. from a beginners point of view there is just too many things to buy. what is essential and needed to start off with and needed to go for training?

16. chikaboo

chikaboo

I only snorkel so I have basics I've been buying slowly - wetsuit, snorkel, mask, fins, gloves - your best guys to speak to be would be the guys from the club and here on the forum - this can become very expensive if you start buying stuff you dont need immediately - I'll be lying if I start giving the scuba list but maybe this year I have to get down to doing my courses - just lazy!

17. chikaboo

chikaboo

I stand to correction but there was alot of debates going on about collecting specimens using scuba - apparently you not giving the livestock a fair chance by using artificial lungs and stuff like that thats also one of the main reasons I didn't go big into scuba - great if you just going under to observe - Also try to pm jacuesb and leigh here on MASA - they are the guys that I know are into scuba - they will point you in the right direction equipment wise....

18. wukkie

wukkie

Well, the list is not that long depending on where you are lookng to go. most places will rent you the scuba equipment that is needed. the best is to start with is all the snorkel gear, or soft stuff. If you are planning on doing a course, they would require you to have the soft stuff. Soft equitment. Mask, snorkel, fins, booties, and weight belt. some places will rent you a wetsuite. Like coral divers at sodwana.
    the scuba gear would be, BC, reg and the tank. depneding on how often you dive the tank can also be rent from most dive operators, for a small addtional charge on the dive. If you don't plan on diving oten then don't buy a tank, as there are yearly inspections that are need to maintain the tank so that the places will fill for you. I would say save up and buy a nice set of Reg's, and mask. but the rest of the stuff you can go second hand on. I say teh Reg's as this is the part that keep you a alive under the water.

19. brentv

brentv

Hi Martin,
    If you wanna make a trip to the coast, there is a good dive centre that does all the courses, rents equip and sells equip... and you also get to do your training dives in the sea. check out www.aquaplanet.co.za.
    Good luck and you'll love the sport when you in it!!!!

20. martinkeyser

thanx guys, helps a lot.
    can anyone tell me what make of bc and regulator is worth buying as this would be the most important things if i understand correctly.

21. wukkie

wukkie

this will come to personal choice, I would say do the dive course first then. ask the dive school to get some demo units for you to test. well at least that is what I did. I tried out about 8 sets, over 2 days at Bass lake.
    good brands are Sucba Pro and then Poseidon, but there are some many others. The is also a local brand that make great Bc's, can't remember the name, I think Reef tech or something like that.

Recent Posts