Scrubber Nutrient removal Question

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by Pugsly, 15 Dec 2009.

1. Pugsly

Pugsly

Hey guys / gals,

Because of the holidays approaching us and work shutting down for 2 weeks I want to build a scrubber for my tank. I have all the info I need thanks to this forum and you guys but there is one thing I would like to know so that I can be prepared for it.

What nutrients will be removed due to the scrubber and what should I look at dosing because of the loss of them. I mean will alk or calcium drop, will I have to dose more iodine etc?

Want to know this because I will need to get test kits to monitor these and aditives to keep them in check.

Thanks in advance

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sentari

Sentari

Pugsly i dont think the ATS removes anything besides iodine from what Mudshark has said.

I dont dose anything and my tank is running amazingly with the ATS. Mushrooms have doubled in size and everything is looking great. You will be okay for 2 weeks. Just remember ATS usually only starts working well after your first harvest.

4. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

Thanks Sentari - I have just noticed some people saying that you must watch your parameters cause it removes iron, mag, and can lower alk, calcium etc. so was just worried about this. how is your phosphate and nitrate looking since you have had the scrubber?

I want to install one cause my phosphates are ok but nitrate remains now at 50ppm (from being between 150 and 200ppm) since I dosed with stability and bactor 7

5. Warr7207

Warr7207

If you don't do water changes, then the scrubber will consume vital elements in the water column.

6. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

by the way - I don't have place for floresent tubes so going to go with energy savers - what globes should I get for this?

7. Warr7207

Warr7207

45 watts work the best. The smaller wattages, don't encourage turf growth, but rather other undesirable algae

8. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

I carry out 2 weekly water changes of 200l - will that be ok?
    I also dose 2 times a week sera marinvit - has the vital elements and vitamins - would this be ok then? Is there anything else to worry about

9. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

45watt energy saver? or a standard type globe?

10. Warr7207

Warr7207

Seems like your WC's are abit hectic. I rather suggest 10-15% weekly. If you have a good salt, then there is no reason to dose anything.

Maybe the odd Iodine tot, due to it been consumed very quickly in our systems

11. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

it sounds allot but my total system volume os 1200l so just thought 200l is not that bad. or is it?

Thanks for the response so far

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Your scrubber will remove the same minerals that a back wall covered with algae will.

If you have softies, zoa and leathers only, then with a 10% water change weekly you do not need to do any dozing of anything. Obviously providing you using good salt. If you have loads of inverts, with your softies, yes then Iodene can be added.

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

and yes you do get a 45W CFL at builders for R100

I'm using them.

14. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Alkalinity is the most likely to be lowered by strong algae growth in your tank. But you should be monitoring that anyway.

15. SantaMonica

SantaMonica

Algae removes the same stuff that is in the food you feed (literally, if you feed Nori). pH goes up a bit, Cal and Mag is unaffected, and although you'd expect Alk to drop, there have been no consistent reports of it (no reports at all, actually). Iodine is a mystery, who knows. The big changes is N and P dropping, and food staying in the water. No water changes are needed, since all things removed by a scrubber are replenished with feeding (I'm going on 1.5 years of no water changes, and others are over 10 years.) Other known info about scrubbers are in the new FAQ: Algae Scrubbers • View topic - ALGAE SCRUBBER FAQ (12/17/09)

16. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Please read this: Iodine
    Iodine will be depleted.

If that is true, it would mean that macro and micro elements are used in exactly the same proportions in photosynthesis as they are found in, for example, the flakes that I feed my fish?

Could you post a link to the tank that has been running for 10 years without any water change. This I have to see. Please be advised that a lot of beginners are reading this thread, and as we know, they need to do constant water changes to dilute nutrient concentration.

17. SantaMonica

SantaMonica

I know that iodine is supposed to be depleted, like iron, with strong algae growth. But I only report what has been found in practice, after reading hundreds of scrubber situations. Iodine has not come up yet (except for your concern) as being a possible problem.

For the sake of simpliciy, yes. And literally, if you are feeding Nori. Food is loaded with iodine and iron, and everything else that tends to accumulate in old tanks (skimmers don't these things.)

I thought everyone knew of the Inland Aquatics tanks: Inland Aquatics Homepage. There have been several others, but they are woven into thousands of posts over the last 1.5 years.

18. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Thanks for the link to Inland Aquatics website. I'm going to enjoy reading through that when I have some time available. I must say though, that this quote taken from their site
    is a far sight different to no water changes at all. I think that most of us are guilty of not doing regular changes. The Inland Aquatic tanks are old and well established with bacteria. In fact they are probably near to a closed ecosystems already. That is not quite the case with a year old, beginner's tank I think you'll agree. So bad luck guys.... looks like you'll have to continue doing those changes on saturday mornings.
    How many people actually test iodine/iodide levels in their tanks? Or any other trace and macro element for that matter. I dose iodide in my tanks continuously now. If I stop for as little as 3 days, the level reverts to 0.

For the sake of the well-being of the inhabitants, I'll continue doing water changes to ensure that I don't skew the balance of elements in my tank.

19. SantaMonica

SantaMonica

My iodine always tests zero on Salifert. I stopped dealing with it. Many other folks have too since there was no observable correlation to coral growth in their cases. So at least in the threads that I have, I know of nobody else dosing iodine in order to offset the scrubbing. I'm surprised that no school or organization has set up controlled tests to measure effects of things like this.

As for IA, what they are saying is that their only new water comes from replenishing water that goes out with sold products (they are a dealer). I think they said about 10 percent a year.

Recent Posts