Screeching Zetlight 6600????

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Charlie Brown, 16 Aug 2015.

1. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown

I bought a Zetlight 6600 about 6 weeks ago and this weekend it gave me the fright of my life!

There I was, lekker deur die k@k, having just woken up and having my first cup of coffee for the morning and admiring the awakening reef in my Infinity 220lt All -in one setup with the Zetlight on the sunrise setting. Right on cue, the daylight setting switches on and with great anticipation I stare at the tank waiting to see if all my children are present and accounted for.

The next moment there is this terrible screeching noise and I think to myself that I could not have stood on the cat..........I don't own a cat.......and if it was the dog, it would have bitten me....***????...this terrible, painful shrieking was coming from the left hand fan motor from the Zetlight..........and there is no way a cat could get in there!!! The noise sounds just like a cat that has had somebody stand on it's tail.

Anyway, I spill the coffee in my haste to get to the plug to switch the lights off and as I get to the plug the racket stops and the light is working beautifully???? ***?????

Now I figure..No way, this is a brand new light that cost me just short of R6k and I'm quite sure it is not supposed to imitate a cat on heat or in pain...I'm taking this back to my LFS today!! I thought let's try this again so that I can show my LFS what the light does....yip, you guessed it.....I could not get the cat in my light to shriek again, bugger it...I doubt my LFS will believe me when I bring back a light and tell them that there is a cat living inside it.

Has anybody else had this problem with their Zetlight 6600? I'm now wondering just how long this light will last.....6 weeks from new and I'm having shrieking light issues...did I just get a lemon or is this a common problem.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

Bud there have been one or 2 lights where the fans are noisy but they either run in or if not the supplier sorts them out ASAP.

Best is to record the noise with your phone while its happening.

Still a great light with really value for money features.

Good luck with sorting the problem out. Your light is under warranty so you should get full support. ;)

4. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Thread Starter

This does not happen everyday, so it is a bit difficult to try and record the screech. I just hope I can get it recorded before the warranty expires...how long is it for anyway?

I really like the light unit and I'm very happy with the light I'm getting, the only issue is the screech...hopefully it goes away as I really don't want to go back to the T5's. I will give it a few more weeks and try and record the screech or hopefully the fans "run in" and the problem goes away.

5. Mr_Armani777

Mr_Armani777

Hey Charlie, I had the same issue on my zt6600 and look the light is one of the best out there with awesome features and certainly value for money, so imo it is something I can live with...

What you can do is loosen the cover that covers the fan just a little an it shoul stop but still a great light and worth the money!!!

6. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Thread Starter

Cool, will try that. If I do this will the warrantee be void?

Last edited: 17 Aug 2015
  7. Mr_Armani777

Mr_Armani777

That's a good question... That I can't answer:whistling: but I just gave you a remedy that worked on mine:thumbup:

8. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

Sorry to Hijack..lol

Anyone got a user manual on how to setup/program these lights?

9. lourensmocke

lourensmocke

Hi @Ridwaan, I've got my manual at home. PM me your cell nr then I will send you the pages.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

wow, that's kind of you @lourensmocke , thank you very much
    Will PM you my number

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts