Scotty, we need some power!

Discussion in 'Power cuts' started by JD167, 22 Oct 2010.

1. JD167

JD167

Last night we had a power failure in the neighberhood. Ieshkom had issues somewhere.

The power was out for about an hour, but I was starting to get nervous. This got me thinking again about installing a UPS to run a heater, airpump and powerhead.

Having a look around at UPS's this morning I found very affordable 600VA, 800VA and 1000VA units.

I'm not too clued up on these things, so could someone please shed some light on how long a 250W Heater, a 26W Seioprop and small airpump will run. Let's round it off to 300W. What would the formula be to work this out?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. neo

neo

there was a thread a few days back with precisely this, search for ups, the formulas etc. was given there and also for an example of 300w

4. Sentari

Sentari

Why you running a heater thou?

The water temp should stay stable for a long time before declining. Especially when its summer.

5. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Search the "POWER CUTS" section.
    Your question has been answered many times.

You really dont need to run a heater during power outages. In fact if you do it will mean you need a large UPS, probably around 1000VA with deep cycle battery capacity > 200Ah.

Do the calcs, you will see what I mean.
    Ah what the hell, here are the back of a match box calcs
    assuming 80 eff of system, you will draw around 380W.
    This is 30 ish amps.
    given that deep cycle batteries should only run to max 50% discharge, a 105AH battery will last max 1.5 hours.

You will need at least a 600VA UPS.

See what I mean by heater draining your UPS system.

no heater, same system would last - 9 hours

6. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

A power outage of an hour should not cause any problems and you should not have to stress, stress starts at about 8 hrs. I have been down the road with 15hrs and no losses, this also depends on the bio load of your system. For long power failures i would rather invest the money in a small generator that will run everything except the lighting and heater/chiller

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I use 2 small batteries, like that in your gate motors and house alarms in parralel. And i run a 12V boat bilge pump on it. Good enough for 5.5 hours minimum.
    Longer periods, I swap it with the battery in my gate motor and house alarm.

Only thing you really need is circulation. Even a battery driven airpump will do. Nothing more.

In my case I run the bilge pump as a return when power is out. So I have enough circulation in display and sump.

Lights, do not need them, Heaters chillers will kill your UPS. Only need minor water movement, enough to have the surface just moving.

8. JD167

JD167 Thread Starter

Thank you for all the replies. I had a major power failure last year(about 14 hours) and lost 2 Angels. This was mainly due to a temperature drop.

I'm thinking long term(winter time, load shedding) and not just the coming summer. I think i'm going the gennie route.

9. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

They recon that there will be more blackouts to come!!!:wtf:

Recent Posts