Urgent help needed Scopas Tang has skin infection

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Dimi, 9 Nov 2014.

1. Dimi

Dimi

Please need some expert opinion as do not know what to do

Looking at the Scopas tang this evening, he has what looks like a spider web design engraved on both sides of his lower body towards his tail. His appetite was not the usual he did peck at the flakes but retreated into his cave again.

I have attached some poor mobile pics. Will try get better photos tomorrow

Some info on the tank:

Running Profilux system and had all probes calibrated in the last month

Saliniti = 1.023
    PH = 8.2
    Temp = 26.4
    Alk: 6

Also running ozone

Live Stock
    I have a scopas tang that has been with me for 18 months, 6 months in my old RSM250 and a year now in the tank 1.5mx1mx0.6m. Recent additions was a small magnificient foxface, jumping bean and flame angel about three months ago.

Other fish which could bother the scopas is a large Regal Tang and yellow taang but they have been together for a year now.

Would it be better to remove and quarantine the fish as I would not like to stress it out more.
    None of the other fish have this, so dint know if it is contagious or not

Thank you in advance

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Krushto

Krushto

Hmmmm...
    That looks like some dermal necrosis to me hey... Any damage to the fin tips or the gill operculum?
    I would definitely recommend separating it from your others... Usually when I see this in the field when we sampling, its to do with organic pollutants or sometimes metal contamination. But I can only really vouch for the freshwater side of fish pathology.
    It could be a bacterial or fungal infection though... Better pics would assist in a better diagnosis though.

4. Dimi

Dimi Thread Starter

Will check again but only showing on his lower body, his tail and fins seemed fine

5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Do you have any other tangs in your system? He could be fighting with them. Tangs use their their caudal "blades" for protection and fighting.

6. Dimi

Dimi Thread Starter

There is a large Regal tang and a smaller yellow tang, they have been together for a year

7. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

It could be that when the lights go out your two Zebrasoma sp. are fighting or vying for the same sleeping space. Otherwise your tank might be getting too small for two tangs of the same genus.

Recent Posts