scooter goby / blennie

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am thinking of getting a scooter goby as addition to my tank in about two weeks.

Anybody got one of these fellows? Some advise would be great.

I currently have:
1 x blue cheek goby
1 x hermit crab
1 x turbo snail
2 x feather dusters

In week 7 of cycle.

Thanks

Here is some info on the scooter blenny Peanut

The Scooter Blenny is also known as Scooter Dragonet or Ocellated Dragonet. It has a mottled brown and white body with red highlights. The male usually has brighter colors and a larger first dorsal fin.

A 30 gallon or larger reef aquarium that has live sand substrate, docile inhabitants, and lots of live rock makes the ideal aquarium for the Scooter Blenny. More than one of its species may be kept; if so, it is best to introduce them all to the tank at the same time. The ratio should be 2 or 3 females per male. A 55 gallon or larger aquarium is required if more than one male is to be kept.
The Scooter Blenny may be a difficult fish to keep due to its feeding habits. The Scooter Blenny will sift through the sand for food. Finely cut meaty foods and vitamin-enriched brine shrimp may be acceptable substitutes.

You need to get that Blue cheek to eat frozen food / flake food, as your tank is not going be able to sustain that creature.

It normally gets it's food from the substrate and needs, well-established tanks with large pod populations.

Hopefully you have substrate and a sump/refugium to keep the pod populations breeding, or this goby will wipe out whatever is available in the main display and then starve.

You need to get that Blue cheek to eat frozen food / flake food, as your tank is not going be able to sustain that creature.

It normally gets it's food from the substrate and needs, well-established tanks with large pod populations.

Hopefully you have substrate and a sump/refugium to keep the pod populations breeding, or this goby will wipe out whatever is available in the main display and then starve.

Thanks Warr, I am feeding him frozen food once a day and he is doing extremely well. He absolutely loves the frozen lobster eggs.

I see he is also starting to eat off the live rock and back wall of tank. :)

" Hopefully you have substrate and a sump/refugium to keep the pod populations breeding, "
Please explain this to me, as I don't want goby to starve.

I have a 24-gallon nano-cube. Have not done any changes to original set-up of filtration system.

Tx

Well, pods generally like a substrate or refugium to thrive in. A refuge is a part of a system that has no pod predators. My DSB section of my sump has no predators and loads of macro algae, and the pods multiple like crazy.

If you have him eating frozen, then great.

Do you have substrate ?

Do you have substrate ?

Yep, sand the LFS supplied with initial set-up. This I think is generating nice food for the guys. Turbo snail, hermit crab and Goby eating nicely from it. Also you can see some type of stuff growing in the sand.

139449383391c543f.jpg

1_Upload_6.JPG

Back
Top Bottom