Scooter blenny and feeding baby brine shrimp

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by HOT SAUCE, 6 Jun 2013.

1. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

I've got a Scooter Blenny (Synchiropus ocellatus) that I got from a friend. initially there were plenty of pods in my tank for him to feed on but after a day or two he managed to eat them all. we have been trying to breed some brine shrimp and feed him with that but the problem is that they are so small when newly hatched and just flow all over the tank ... it seems that the blenny manages to eat a few the fall near it but I'm afraid that that's just not enough . my question is what's the best way to feed the brine shrimp and how long should we wait after they hatch before we feed them to the tank.. would they grow muck bigger than their initial size and lastly are there any alternatives for feeding the scooter blenny

thanks in advance :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. the fish

the fish

they do grow bigger than the original birth size. have you tried giving him some frozen brine?

4. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE Thread Starter

yes we have but it seems that he only wants live foods

5. the fish

the fish

oky cool. well after you breed them let them stay in your breeding facility and feed the brine to help them grow a bit for a few days and then feed them when they are a bit bigger?

6. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

It's best to feed newly hatched BBS as they are full of nutrition as they still have their egg sacks then also it's a good idea to decapsulate the eggs before you hatch them to pevent diseses.

7. Jayceew

Jayceew

What you can try is to buy some live brine shrimp from a LFS and feed that to the Blenny. After feeding that to him a couple of times start mixing a little bit of frozen Mysis shrimp with the live shrimp. He will then "accidentally" eat some of the frozen Mysis along with the live brine. Every time you feed add more frozen Mysis shrimp and less live shrimp until you can feed only frozen Mysis or Brine.

If it's a small tank you can use the above idea and add small pellets also, your water movement will roll the pellets around on the substrate and the Blenny might think it's live food.

I did this with my Mandarin and eventually he ate pellets and all frozen foods.

Patience is key here. If you have loads of other fish you might want to do this "training" in a seperate tank or the sump if there is space.

Last edited: 6 Jun 2013
  8. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

BBS loose nutrition as they grow unless you gutload them.

9. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE Thread Starter

OK that's a plan. now when I feed them to the tank do I just let them float in the water or should I try target feed the scooter blenny? it seems that he likes to eat from the substrate and rarely swims up even when I'm feeding the other fish. I've seen some people use a small dish covered with fine netting that sits on the bottom of the tank there is a airline tube connected to the side that reaches the surface of the tank so you can inject the brine shrimp into the dish and when they attach them self to the net the fish can feed from there without all the brine shrimp floating free in the tank .. I'll look up a pic to show you

10. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE Thread Starter

but they are so small would the fish get enough ??

11. Jayceew

Jayceew

Mostly feed from thr substrate, they might swim up against the glass or rocks to get to food but definately not in open water.

Have you checked PaulB's thread? He explains how he made his brine shrimp feeder, works very well for him.

12. Jayceew

Jayceew

Blenny's and fish like Mandarin's never stop eating, they will need a lot of these creatures to survive, so you need a long term plan to keep this fish.

Keep that in mind because if you cant find a long term solution rather give the fish to someone with a large established tank.

13. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE Thread Starter

sorry I'm on my cell right now so I'm always few minutes behind
    is this the feeder you are talking about :

IMG-20130603-WA0001.jpg

I tried using it yesterday but I guess it only works for much bigger brine shrimp. mine all went straight through the mesh.. I used a stocking

IMG-20130603-WA0001.jpg

14. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE Thread Starter

yes of course. actually the reason I got the fish in first place is because he had finished all the pods in my friends tank and I had plenty. now as giving the fish to someone else would be a problem because there are only four of us in the country that have marine tanks and none of us have enough pods to keep the fish going .. so I need a plan

15. Jayceew

Jayceew

That's a bit of a problem then...

Best would be to get the fish on frozen food, frozen Brine like Super Shrimp is good but not enough, you preferably want to also get him to eat Mysis shrimp.

Try mixing the live with the frozen, it worked with my Mandarin. It did take a lot of patience as it didn't work first time around but it did work eventually.

16. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE Thread Starter

thanks for the help so fat. we'll try and see if we can give it some frozen food tonight. we might have to wait for few days for the brine shrimp to grow a bit . the LFS does not sell any live foods so we need to breed our own

Recent Posts