Scolymia

Alfie

Hawkfish
Reaction score
Since I have had this coral this is the first time I saw this. The one minute it was "normal" and the next I thought it was going to pop. Can anyone let me know if this is normal. Below are some pics showing the inflated decreasing to narmal in a matter of say 10 minutes.
tank269.jpg

tank270.jpg

tank271.jpg

tank273.jpg

After feeding tonight it is also the first time that it has opened as in the photo below while eating. Pic taken with only blue light on but is was absolutely stunning the way it opened.
tank286.jpg

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Alfie I am speaking under correction hear but to hazard a guess, I think they do that when they want to walk/Move. This would help the current to carry them along to a new spot.

But it could be wrong;)

Alfie

Hawkfish
Reaction score
The previous times it inflated the bottom to move, but you might be right. I was just amazed as this was the first time I saw this.

Alfie

Hawkfish
Reaction score
Hi Alfie - I think that IF there's nothing wrong with it, I would too agree with the coral wanting to move, bit........
Don't think there is anything wrong with it. Look how stunning it opened while feeding tonight.

Alfie

Hawkfish
Reaction score
Wee-Man I was waiting for the release this afternoon, would have folwed the whole tank.

Alfie

Hawkfish
Reaction score
Don't know about the beer but it looks like it shared my whiskey last night.

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
Since I have had this coral this is the first time I saw this. The one minute it was "normal" and the next I thought it was going to pop. Can anyone let me know if this is normal. Below are some pics showing the inflated decreasing to narmal in a matter of say 10 minutes.

After feeding tonight it is also the first time that it has opened as in the photo below while eating. Pic taken with only blue light on but is was absolutely stunning the way it opened.
tank286.jpg
very cool coral, where do get units like this ?

Alfie

Hawkfish
Reaction score
Warr just got to check out your LFS or ask the sponsors to get for you