Schalk's Reef

Discussion in 'Large Tanks' started by schalkvj, 14 Apr 2009.

1. schalkvj

schalkvj

After abusing my tape measure and playing with lots of different furniture arrangements in my small flat I'm able to fit a nicely sized tank. (1350 x 1000 x 600)

Adriaan (Idol Marine) started working on the stand yesterday and will be ordering the glass tomorrow.

Thanks Adriaan for the nice SketchUp drawing! (We decided afterwards to change the width to 1m, in the sketch it's 800mm)

[​IMG]

Most of the details are still up in the air. I'm thinking of getting the Aquamedic Aquasunlight (2 x 250w metal halide lamps and 4 x T5's) for lighting and starting with only one Polario stream pump in the tank hidden behind LR in the back. (Maybe some VorTech's later?)

Still trying to make up my mind about the sump. A Berlin method type setup looks good but I'm wondering about a refugium.

At this point my biggest concern is that I don't plan on using a chiller because of the heat that it's going to add to my flat. Putting it outside is unfortunately not an option. I'm hoping to achieve sufficient cooling with 3-5 fans in the sump.

Comments?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. scubaninja

scubaninja

Fans would be sufficient you would just have to top up your RO chamber more. Adriaan builds magnificent tanks so you are in great hands, love the bigger width though, very cool! REfugiums are great but not always necessary if you have a lot of rock and a decent substrate. But it sounds like you are on your way

By the way,
    welcometomasa

4. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

THIS is going to be an awesome setup !!

With that width and length you can have an awesome sump setup with a massive dsb and a refugium .....

May i suggest that you consider some sort of open slats for the side of the cabinet.... if you want to avoid the chiller, this may help big time !!

Will be following this thread !!!

5. sunburst

sunburst

Looking sharp Schalk. You are in great hands with IM.

2 x 250watt halides... that's some serious heat. Do you have an idea of your hottest midday temp's in the flat. . Fans are very effective but be prepared. Aircons are great for emergencies

Congratulations and Good luck. Keep us posted

6. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Interesting design! looking forward to the progress pics on this baby :)

7. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

Looks very cool man...oja and WELCOME TO MASA:wave2:

8. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

This will look great, what overflow will you be using? Remember to check whether the floor will handle the 800 - 1000kg.

9. schalkvj

schalkvj Thread Starter

Thanks for all the comments, I'll upload more pictures soon.

Neil H, the cabinet will be open in the back since the tank is going against the wall, so that should also help with ventilation. (It will be about 5-10cm from the wall.) I think slates can look nice - I'll chat to the carpenter about it.

sunburst, I'm planning on getting a temperate meter tomorrow to start monitoring my flat's temperature. I would like to get an aircon but need approval from the body corporate which is a huge pain. A stylish pedestal fan wired into a Profilux might also do the trick with the open top tank design. (Great excuse to get a Profilux...)

Tobes, the overflow will be the flat type that Idol Marine use on most of their tanks. (No Durso.) I'm on the ground floor so there is no danger to people, only to my titles.

10. crispin

crispin

welcome to masa schalk :)
    really geat design you have there, especially the 1m width, that will give the tank great proportions as well as allowing you lots of fun space with aquascaping :)

heating is going to be an issue and id agree with you on the chiller heat and noise in a small appartment, but what about getting a small stand alone airconn unit? it doesnt get bolted down and the body corp dont need to know about it :)

i would also suggest an increase in the height of the stand. I have a tand just under a meter high and thats great as I dont have to bend to look into the tank and it really added to my viewing pleasure. Also i can then fit in standard skimmers of a decent size (in my case a deltec 850) and still be able to work comfortably in the sump area..

but that is a lovely looking design so far :)

11. schalkvj

schalkvj Thread Starter

crispin, my problem with a portable aircon is that they are also quite noisy and you have to put a ugly pipe out of a window. (Some of them also have a water compartment in the back that you have to empty.) Hopefully fans will be enough for the winter months. I'll start playing the body corporateā€™s little "approval" game now so that I can be prepared for summer.

The tank will be partially in front of a window and making the stand higher will make the window/blinds unusable. :(

12. FransSny

FransSny

very design schalk....idol marine willdefinitely do a great job

Welsome as well

13. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Awesome design man. This is going to be 1 fantastic tank. Looking forward to the progress

14. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Do you really need a excuse to get one.;) It will also be able to control a chiller.:p

If you look at the price of the individual units like temp controller, Ph, Light etc It will work out cheaper to get the Profilix.

15. Jaak

Jaak

Great design Schalk and Welcome to MASA!!

16. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

very nice

17. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

WOW! Nice Schalk! A very WARM WELCOME to MASA, man! GREAT to have you on-booard!
    Please keep us updated! You CANNOT go wrong with Idol Marine! Please update us on the sump design and skimmer brand/model as well?

18. Tony

Tony

Welcome. I had a marine tank in my garage once and it got really hot in there but the tank never went above 28 degrees. I don't know why. I would go with the VOrtechs opposed to the polario as you will get a better flow distribution. The two together may be a bit too much. THat polario is a powerful beast. Youre looking at about 46 000 lph without your return. Maybe you could ask Adriaan to plumb a CLS or return behind your rockscape for a similar effect

19. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome very nice design

20. schalkvj

schalkvj Thread Starter

Shaun, it didn't feel cheaper... :whistling:

I got the ProfiLux Plus II Ex, a 6 outlet digital plug bar, optical level sensor, pH-electrode, Propeller Breeze, propeller control and the LED simulation stick.

[​IMG]

I used the little light to test heaters, lights, pumps...

[​IMG]

Everything seems to work nicely - it tried everything except the ph probe. (I don't want to remove it from the protective cover until I have the tank.)

The fans are really nice and quiet with the controller. (I had the temperature probe in a bit of water and added hot-water or ice cubes to see the fans and heaters turn on and off on the plug bar. :))

One doesn't get a RS-232 (serial) cable with the unit so it's not possible to configure it using your computer out of the box. The software is much easier to use than the interface on the unit. (Even if it did come with a serial cable most laptops don't have serial ports anymore. You cannot use a USB->serial converter because it's a "custom" serial cable. The software is really nice so it might be worthwhile getting the USB/LAN/WIFI add-on.

jacquesb, I should have all the details regarding the sump after the weekend.

21. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Lucky S***.;) Why did you not get the New ProfiLux III.:razz:

Sorry but serial is serial, so a USB adapter should work, just maybe not in Vista. If I have some extra time I will try look into the cable. A couple of months back I found the info to make the cables to control Tunze pumps with that unit so the serial cable should not be a problem, unless they make use of a dongle.

Recent Posts