Scaling down

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by FransSny, 25 Mar 2011.

1. FransSny

FransSny

Wasnt planning on posting anything but as I needed some help with sump ideas, I can just as well.

As space is a constraint at the moment, and time :p, I have decided to go for something smaller this round.

Tank: 650 sq x 500 h (water level @ 470 as I would like to go for some exposed rock)
    Skimmer : Reefocto Orca 80 EXT (or the skimz that I havent used yet )
    Return: Eheim Compact 3000
    Flow: 2 x Tunze 6055 Nanostreams
    Biological Filtration: Cryptic Zone, ATS (?????) and DSB

Thanks Riaan for the Scetchup model & sump ideas :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Idea is to split off return to top tank (crypic zone) as well as ATS. Three way split OR split overflow. Comments please

Inmates....no Idea

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

looks good :) .. Nice to have a refuge with some macro algae also

4. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

thanx Tremaryn, might change cryptic zone to macro algea....

5. Dane

Dane

Looking awesome fransicle! (Sorry, that one sticks for some reason). :p

I would definitely switch the proposed cryptic to a fuge with macros etc. Maybe move it to the front, and put a little window in the cabinet (if you're closing the cabinet off). I've always loved "show off" fuges.

6. Tremayn

Tremayn

Macro algae is pretty easy to keep and it does a great deal :) ..

7. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

fransicle...LOL dane , no worries ...I do need to speak to glensicle about that though :lol:

exposed fuge...wicked idea :thumbup: I will have to close the cabinet off as the "beach house" is very open plan

8. Tremayn

Tremayn

you can keep it simple, just some sand, a rock and use egg crate to make a little box in which to put the macro algae in with some flow pointed at it. It will soak up nitrates and phosphates and you just have to use an energy saver globe. Im using an ever ready energy saver globe. Its 6400K and it cost R18-99! There are little fan worms all over the glass in my refuge so thats also more free filtration :) .. In my opinion a refuge is better than a DSB especially with a new tank

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yes Frans, pic looks familiar. :whistling:
    I run all three, ATS, Cryptic and Refugium (or used to), and this is my opinion.

I do believe in ATS - Algae scrubber. But I found it to be a mission to maintain. It works very effectively, and for nutrient export nothing beats it. But it MUST be easy to remove, easy to clean without dripping water everywhere. Lights should be accessible and dry. Currently, I do not have one.

A got a dedicated Cheato tank. I found cheato needs a bit more depth than just 150mm we normally provide for them, to be able to really create a ball. It works in my mind better to have the refugium and DSB in separate compartments. Although combining them is not a problem.

As for Cryptic zone. Well, I run one in another black plastic tub. And I did empty it after 6 months running to be able to put it on its own proper stand. Visually, does it work? Well I see a lot less than I can see in my DSB. There are some white sponge growth, especially on the sides. Like a spider web growth. Some aptasia. Well they are filter feeders after all. And some small white tube worms. Effectiveness of cryptic zone?

Cryptic vs Refugium vs ATS. I would rather go for refugium.

Reasons: a lot less work, easy to maintain, critter breeding ground. And best of all, whatever is in there is a lot more fascinating.

Last edited: 26 Mar 2011
  10. chikaboo

chikaboo

I haven't noticed anyone else here with a fuge at the very top of their systems .... Why is that ..... You can have pods flowing the whole day 24/7 into the display ....

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Mine is basically like that. I pump from return to refugium, and that overflow back to DSB. Same as having a compartment before return.

It is just that cube tanks all have space issues. With rectangular tanks a simple straight sump is easy. With Cubes, not that simple. You need to make total use of what you have. Normally I see cubes with sumps that is only using 60% maximum of the space. Narrow sumps, why, I do not know as width also helps with total water volume.

And on Frans tank, the tank itself height is 500. Stand frame and polystyrene etc, will give you an available height in sump area of about 1m. Highest piece of equipment is the skimmer. So what do we do with the rest of the open space? Why not incorporate a small dedicated refugium? Plus it increase the total water volume.

In this design, you have to options. Have two overflow pipes from display, one to skimmer - DSB and return, The other to refugium and return.
    Or, one overflow to skimmer, to DSB to return. Then 2 pumps, one up to tank. Other pump to refugium that overflow back to return.

Last edited: 27 Mar 2011
  12. chikaboo

chikaboo

As in having a fuge above the height of the main DT .... In other words return takes water to fuge and that flows into DT then back to sump ..... Once a fuge there isn't fiddling with it so it can be quite high as no need to get to it regularly .... then no life getting slurped up a pump ....

13. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Thanx for the input Riaan...the ATS is scrubbed so to say :biggrin: biggest reason is maintenance and evaporation issues. The water pressure is so low I have about a 80 % loss when running RO.

The idea is to use the top tank as dedicated fuge. I will split off overflow into that and then overflow from there to first compartment...

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

nope, into DSB or return.
    Else you skim the pods out.
    If to the DSB, just built a diffuser, as not to blow up the sand. Can be something simple like using 2 90 degree elbows, like a loop ending upwards but under water. At the entrance side of DSB.

Recent Posts