Saw something weird

Reaction score
had supper with one of my clients last night and saw his zoa "excreting" long white filaments from their centres ...unfortunately didnt ask him about it (just did whole oooh aaaah thing) is this the way they get rid of waste or what else

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
perv give the thing some privacy:razz::lol:

Reaction score
Mesenterial filaments perhaps.......?

Reaction score
Epulsion of zooxanthellae, unlikely if white colour.......

Reaction score
Or release of slime coat to rid itself of settled detritus.

Reaction score
Mesenterial filaments.......( not to be confused with sweeper tentacles )...... Quite nasty little buggers if you were a neighbouring coral. In a nutshell its a corals digestive system. Well part of it at least.... Why do they spit it out? To be NASTY to the neighbour.
As an agression / defence mechanism in the war for limitef reef estate, corals often reduce mesenterial filaments, containing their digestive juices into the water column. When these digestive filaments hit another coral, they start digesting its flesh.... Pretty much like being eaten alive...

Reaction score
Pleasure Mekaeel. Post 4, 6 & 7 qre guesses at what Franssny saw. Without a pic it would be difficult to tell exactly which one of the three. For more on Mesenterial filaments (just one of the weapons in a coral's reef estate bargaining arsenal), try these link: An Introduction to Marine Ecology - Google Book Search

Reaction score
thanks guys for all the thoughts, pity i couldnt get a pic (i actually still own a cell without a camera !) being new at the game i find everything very interesting. id did look as if there was small brown things attached (thats why i thought it was poo !!), for interest could someone give me an indication of how close is to close together when it comes to soft corals....or is it really species dependent, he has a LOT of zoas and some are right next to each other