Saw Goniopora for the first time !!

Reaction score
I saw Goniopora for the first time today. Is it impossible to keep as most articles say ??

Reaction score
I saw Goniopora for the first time today. Is it impossible to keep as most articles say ??
They say that the branched Goniopora (pandoraensis) from Indonesia is fairly hardy. But in all honesty this is one specimen that should be left in the sea. The one or two that do survive are kept by well matured salty dogs who know there bananas.

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
LOL @ Sunburst, the branching gonni is the easier of the lot, but must agree with Sunburst it is one of the corals that are best left in the ocean as hundreds die/are killed for every one that survives.

Reaction score
Always good to run things past others, before making a mistake. Thanks

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Have anyone tried keeping goniporia and have anyone been successful in keeping goniporia? The reason I ask, is that I have one, and for the past 4 months so far, it seems to be faring quite well - increasing in size and all.... I know it is a VERY short time period still, BUT, I am optimistic that it will be with me for a very long time still?

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Have anyone tried keeping goniporia and have anyone been successful in keeping goniporia? The reason I ask, is that I have one, and for the past 4 months so far, it seems to be faring quite well - increasing in size and all.... I know it is a VERY short time period still, BUT, I am optimistic that it will be with me for a very long time still?
Yipi have had mine for a few years now, please dont ask what the secret is, as i cant tell because i honestly dont know. I do know they can be fine up to a year and then go into decline.
Here a couple of pics of the ones i got.

P1000108.jpg

P1000127.jpg

P1000129.jpg

Reaction score
Well done alan, had one for a year till it started declining slowly and 6 months later was no more, wont try another personally.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
WOW! They beautiful Alan! Mine looks nearly the same type (just MUCH smaller, and slightly more fluorescent green) ;-)

I think thank possibly the amount of micro-critters in the tank, could possibly determine the success of this coral, or not..... The amount of micro-scopic food POC's in the water, could most likely determine whether this coral survives, or not.

Alan - do you target feed your goni's?

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Alan - do you target feed your goni's?
Not at all, but remember there is about 60 odd fish in the system that are really well fed so always plenty of food around.

Sorry to say, not the prettiest coral
True, but not the best pic either, will try find better ones.