Saving up

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking to save up for a SLR camera as I love photography, but just battle with my little sony DSC-S650 as it's not the best of camera's. I've been using my brother's fiances Nikon D40 and I love it, so edging toward something in the Nikon range around R8000 or so, what are the reccomendations here, I have very limited knowledge and battle to understand half the stuff I'm reading in reviews on cameras on websites, which I have tried doing.

P.S. I'm a total novice and got a lot to learn.

Cheers
Luke:)

HI,

i using a Nikon D60 and i must say its really a fantastic camera.
i would lean towards the D60 maybe the D80, but thats just because i love Nikon

Hey Junz, I bought the D60 in the end, lank stoked. Just got it today, so haven't really had a chance to take pics yet. Flip, can't wait though :-D

Hahaha my tank is ready for that camera hahaha
Nice Luke nice buy hope it serves you well!!!;)

Haha, leslie, do you second that your tank is waiting for pics or that the camera serves me well? Shot Grant. I'm sure it will do a good job hey, just hope the man behind the view finder is good enough for the camera ;)

Haha, leslie, do you second that your tank is waiting for pics or that the camera serves me well? Shot Grant. I'm sure it will do a good job hey, just hope the man behind the view finder is good enough for the camera ;)

:lol: nice camera dude! once my tank is finished..i need to get a decent camera.i also love photography..always wanted a quality camera:p

Luke - one suggestion mate. Seeing that you have a digital SLR - take as MANY pictures as you can, and try and LEARN from the pics you take. Next step would be to try and download as many photography tutorials from the internet. There are some AWESOME resources available. It would be "next to free" - as hard-cover books are really expensive.

Start off with portrait pictures (humans), and then landscape pics (nature pics) - and then try some buildings, boats (you are in EL at least), the sea, animals, etc....

Get to know the rule of thirds.... and learn about what perspective does to photography....

Play around with different and "strange" angles.... Don't be afraid to experiment. All photographs are YOUR intrepetation of life. No one else's.....

The only photographs I would call "flops" are the one's that you find displeasing..... No matter WHAT the photographs look like.

I used to be a relatively good amature photographer...... But then I started keeping a semi-decent marine aquarium. And taking pics of fish stumped me completely!
;)

Thanks Jacques, I will start snapping away as soon as I finish my prac teaching in two weeks. Can't wait!!!

luke, thats a *** camera brah.. honestly could have goten better quality for what you paid

Slummies - there are a HUGE following of Sony Alpha camera's..... some people WOULD believe quite the contrary mate.

The world of photography does not ONLY consist of Nikon and Canon.... there are some decent Olympus and Sony DSLR's out there as well....

BTW: Just a quick question - are you talking of experience? Or hearsay? If it is experience - please share some constructive criticisms with us of the Sony Alpha DSLRs?

Shot guys, and slummies, I'll have to come and show the camera to you. It's an awesome camera and taking nice pics at the moment ;-). And for the price there is nothing that I could've gotten at that price for this quality hey. I'm having good experience with this camera so far. Jacques, i a couple of months research and spoke to people who are in photography here in EL before buying and they not keen on the SONY's and OLYMPUS compared with Canon and Nikon.

Thanks for the awesome link Sean, will definitely take a deeper look soon

HHHmmmm Luke - makes me worry about the people in "slummies" knowledge of DSLR camera's.....
Nikon and Canon is really some of the best - BUT, the Sony and Olympus is really not that far behind....
If you REALLY want to compare camera's - you have to look at Rollei, Hasselblad, etc....

Aaaaah i l ove a hasselblad wrked at photo developing shop december thats past te owner is a professional fotogropher he has photogrophy equipment in his home of almost half a mil, tha includes 3 cameras with lens sets to fit each, one camere with lens set for wedding and so it goes on with the other two learnt alot and my eyes popped out when i saw his equipment

Sean - cool;)

Jacques - I think Bruce knows a bit about photography, but people can tell me all they want that I have a rubbish camera, but I am the one getting good experience with it and the camera is taking awesome pics. I've never heard a bad report about the D60, even from good photographers, so I'm gonna stick to my guns on this one and stick with it. Nikon is a really good brand. I'm happy with it, and for the price I couldn't have bought another camera new, with warranty and all for the same price. I'm stoked with it:thumbup:

Johan - that sounds really hectic, maybe I'll get there some day :)

It's a Nikon D60 with manual and auto focus. Fully optical, won't touch digital zoom!!!

Back
Top Bottom