Sash's tank thread

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Sash, 16 Dec 2014.

1. Sash

Sash

Hi guys,
    I'm new to the forum and new to saltwater tanks. I've had one of those 8gallon nuvo tanks for about 8 months but recently started a 200l tank as well. The 200l has been running since 09.12.2014 and I need to add more salt and water to bring the salinity up. I would like to ask something regarding both tanks.
    First one:
    [​IMG]
    There seems to be a pest here with aptasia. I've read around and will try to get it out using the suggested methods on the forum. My question on this tank is related to the green stuff growing tall alongside it. What is it? Also a pest? I feel like cutting it out.

200l tank:
    I need to add more salt. It's at 1.010 at the moment and I put a piece of live rock in. Also I need to add about 15kg more crushed coral. I planned on going through this tank slowly but the wait is a killer. What products can I use to help cycle the tank or do you advise against that? I'll also be adding an external filter and heater this weekend. At the moment it's just a cascade 600 moving the water.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. hammers

hammers

Hi Sash
    Welcome to the forum, slow is good, and research saves you a lot of money in the long run.
    That green stuff is a macro algae, its actually good for your tank because it filters out some of the bad stuff, most people try to grow it in their sump as part of their filtration but there are people who choose to have it growing in their tanks, especially if they have a fwlro (fish with live rock only) tank, like some of @lordblackadder s tanks. I think if you don't have corals growing then I would leave it in there but its all about personal preference at the end of the day.

Your salt needs to come up to around 1024 - 1025 just do it slowly by adding a little salt every day or so. In my opinion the most important thing you can do once your tank is set up, is to check your water parameters often. Its a bit of a hack at times but its really is the first step in good husbandry, and will save you a lot of heartache. Looking forward to seeing the progress !

4. Sash

Sash Thread Starter

Thanks! Yeah a good test kit is at the top of my list. Any suggestions?

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

not only aiptasia

In the front, it looks like you got bubble algae as well. Those green shine little marbles. They can take over.

The big green algae, looks like briopsis. If it is you can struggle to get it out. But in that tank it actually looks good.

Before adding any other liverock to that bigger tank, first get the salinity to the correct level. No point in adding rock with live critters in it into a tank with low salinity, without acclimatization. Effectively killing all the live critters you want on and inside the rock. all those dead critters will now also form part of the cycle process, instead of helping in reducing the cycling time.

6. hammers

hammers

A lot of people use salifer. That's what I started with. I was having non stop problems with my tank so a friend of mine came to test my water and he brought red sea test kits with him and I haven't looked back since. the thing I like the most about red sea is that they don't just tell you what your parameters are, they work in conjuction with their dosing chemicals and they give you exact dosages per 100 liters to get your water to where it should be. they've made it pretty fool proof so it takes out the guesswork of dosing which works well for me cause I suck at maths and science.

I returned the favor to a mate of mine 2 weeks ago. he has over 60 k worth of equipment in his sump including dosing machines and reactors. he couldn't get it right even after all the bucks he spent, because he thought that the system would be "plug n play" but even with auto dosing you need to test to make sure the machine isn't over or under dosing. We tested the water and after he saw the test kits he went out and bought them too.

I use seachem products too but the calculations on the bottle are far more complex and in my tank they haven't done more (or less) than what the red sea has done.

MG CA & ALK all work together in salt water, if one is out, generally the rest will be too, so red sea put all three tests into one kit.
    You will need a ph pen and hydrometer and if you plan on having softies I would suggest iodine too then get the matching chems for dosing.

I haven't checked nitrates or phosphates in years because once I got those three (mg ca and alk) balanced all my green hair and cyno that I battled with for years just died off.

7. Sash

Sash Thread Starter

@RiaanP thanks for that. That's exactly as you describe those bubbles to be. It is VERY annoying. Im going to go get the salt now to get the salinity right.
    @hammers Ok cool so I am on the right path. I suspected the Red Sea test kit will cater to all the needs since it looks comprehensive. Didn't think I needed the ph pen though so I will add that in. I have a float hydrometer that I am using for now. I also saw on another members tank he has some Seneye thing. Is it good and will it test everything? If it does, I think the little extra spend for the amount of tests it does might be worth it. I haven't completed my homework on that part.

You guys are really helpful :m111:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. hammers

hammers

there are other ways of testing ph but the pen is seriously easy. I there was a pen for every type of test I would get it, just to save time and effort. you just turn it on and dip it in the water, and then I calibrate it once a year and its hardly ever off. Ive never used a floating hydrometer, I use the one you have to put a drop of water on and then you look through it. Just remember to calibrate it using ro water cause they can be out when you get them.
    In jhb you will have to keep an eye on your temp too, its something I rarely check living in Durban, I only worry about it end of Jan and Feb but your temp fluctuations up there are a lot bigger than ours.

9. Sash

Sash Thread Starter

@hammers ya! We have 4 seasons in a day! Ok cool I will go with the pen for ph. The other one you are using is that a refractometer?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. hammers

hammers

yes it is, not sure how much they cost now days but if you rinse it after you use it and it should last you for years. well worth it

11. Mr Smith

Mr Smith

Welcome to the forum

12. Sash

Sash Thread Starter

Thank you

13. Sash

Sash Thread Starter

Ok the test kits they gave me is for no3, no2, nh3, nh4. Are these fine?

14. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Yep, for now. You might want to get po4 as well.

15. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Is that pic of the 200 liter or 8 gal tank?

16. Sash

Sash Thread Starter

Ok I will have a look at that too on Saturday. Then once I have my parameters right I'll look at livestock

17. Sash

Sash Thread Starter

The wait is killingggggg

18. Sash

Sash Thread Starter

No that's the 8gallon. The 200l is just a tank with incomplete substrate lol

19. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Lol, just remember that nothing good happens quickly.

20. devesh.r

devesh.r

Welcome and take it slowly. no need to rush it. Take all the advice you can on this forum, most of.the guys know who they talking about here.

All the best.on your tank.

21. Mr Smith

Mr Smith

I agree 100%

Recent Posts