Sarcophyton help

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by danimal, 16 Nov 2009.

1. danimal

danimal

hey guys

I got this leather about a week ago with some other corals (mushrooms, and a hydnophora frag as a freebie which is flourishing). when they arrived all the corals were withdrawn as expected after being shipped from capetown. everything else has opened up nicely and is doing well, however the sarc frag stayed curled up. this evening i noticed it appears to be peeling... anyone got any ideas as to what this could be? is the coral dying, or is it merely a form of shedding?

thanks

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Sarco's definitely do shed occasionally, but if you ask me, that coral has had it.

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Eish Danimal - I am too really sorry to say this. BUT - this poor coral really have had it..... I really hope (for your sake), it pulls through.... But, my logic tells me otherwise!

5. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

oh well. such is life! do you think should take it out now, or give it a few days? dont want it to crash my tank!

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Grab hold of it with your fingers, if it disintegrates then get it out asap. If there is even a small solid piece that feels nice and fleshy and is still attached to the rock then that little piece may well survive.

What I would do is take the rock out of the tank and swish it around a bit in a bucket of salt water, the rotten bits will fall off and hopefully you will have something left that can grow. Do that tonight and again in the morning.

7. millepora

millepora

Great advise DeanO

8. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

ok i did just that, about half of it disintegrated but there is still a fair amount of solid fleshy bit left. I had to detech it from the rock it was on to do this (i had stuck it in place with pratleys putty) so for now it is just wedged between two rocks. will see again in the morning. thanks guys for the prompt replies.

9. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

hey guys, sorry to report that the sarco didn't make it :( the other corals i received in the same shipment (shrooms and a hydnophora frag) are all flourishing. water prams are perfect, I think it was just luck of the draw as it was all closed up when I received it and simply never recovered from being shipped. These things happen.

10. Annoying

Annoying

Sorry to here:(, ya thats just one of the problems with this hobby but in the end it is all worth it.

Recent Posts