Santam insurance advice needed URGENTLY!!!!

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by lIghty, 9 Dec 2010.

1. lIghty

lIghty

Hi All

I was involved in an accident on the 19/11/2010 where I hit a pedestrian that ran out in front of me.

My vehicle (2007 Hilux D-CAB) has a bit of damage (Front bumper, grill, light, bonnet, A/C condenser, and a couple other pieces - all parts are beyond repair). I got a couple quotes which ranged from R25 000 to R41 000. The company that quoted R25 000 has done some work on my van in the past (my choice as it was convenient) which I wasn't happy with, the other for R41 000 is an very reputable and recommended company. Both are on the Authorized repairer list.

I forwarded the quotes to my broker along with all the documents required on the 23/11/2010.

The assessor came out on the 29/11/2010, he had a look at the vehicle. While I was taking to him I told him they mustn't try and put pirate parts on my vehicle, I won't except it,

On the 2/12/2010 my broker called to say that I'm not going to be happy, so I asked why to be told they not going to put original parts on my vehicle since I had 150 000Km and it was 3 years old, well needless to say I told what they could do, and that I would not accept it!, she then said it was up to Santam, So I told her to pass on the message!

She said the assessor would forward his report to Santam and I would get a copy of it, well needless to say nothing has happened since.

As far as I'm concerned, I should not have to settle for pirate parts that will depreciate my vehicles value, or will start rusting etc after a year, I don't pay "pirate" premiums for my insurance, why should I accept pirate parts / workmanship, this is a vehicle I'm planing on keeping for some time, hell it's not even paid off yet!

Any factual advise would really be appreciated, I want to be prepared before I draw out my big guns!

Thanks in advance!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

good luck, I left them long ago cause they want your premiums but gives you inferior service

4. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

did the pedestrian make it ?

5. durleo

durleo

The insurance guys are def rips-offs. They give us so much red tape to adhere to and yet they will not give us what we are paying premiums for. Play Hard Ball and they will put original parts. I had a problem with Budget insurance - I had a Packard Bell Laptop insured for the value of R14000 and never claimed on my insurance for 5 years. My laptop fell and was beyond economical repairs. They got a company to give me a cheap R4999 laptop thinking I was a fool. I did not accept the laptop and demanded that they supply me a packard bell laptop. I insured a packard bell and i wanted a packard bell for the insured value. Their argument was that all laptops are the same , so I said if my Tag Heure watch is stolen will you replace with a Casio;). They eventually paid me out R14000 cash and I bought the machine I wanted. Dont let them fool you - they escalate our premiums by 10% every year , claiming the cost of parts and repairs are going up.

6. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

Bunch of Idiots

He was alive when they took him to hospital, but not sure what happened after that, medic said he would make it.

Thanks Durleo, I'm not going to go down quietly!

7. SIMS

SIMS

Well I have been insured with Santam for 16 years - I have 18 vehicles, 2 personal properties inc. contents, business premises inc contents as well as staff insurance. No guessing I pay them a small fortune every month. I have claimed around 20-25 times for between R15 000 and R200 000. I have never ever had an issue like this before although I have often agreed to pirate parts as my vehicles do huge kms and it makes little diffs to me. Last claim was 2 weeks ago - It took them 2 days to assess the damage and 4 days to pay out the write off value. I had to twist their arm to write it off as it was 2% below the write off figure. I suggest you call Santam and get some facts from someone in charge. Perhaps the broker is not well connected enough to get it sorted.

Last edited: 9 Dec 2010
  8. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

Thanks Sims, will do, Top Exec are a bunch of shitheads

Last edited: 9 Dec 2010
  9. lv

lv

Phone the Ombitsman (sorry only the Afrikaans word for it).

I had the same problem last year with my Ford Ranger and they helped me out.

Good luck

10. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i second this, i did it and was sorted

11. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Sorry to hijack this thread
    Dude Santam are sharks & because we pay with bye-aid we got forwarded to integrisure even bigger sharks. In 1995 I bought a new bantum as my corolla was stolen & never claimed once for just over 4 years then last year an oxygen thief turned in front of me & I T-boned the old bastard so the insurance wrote the bakkie off, I had 2 months to complete payments for the bantum. Anyway they wouldn't let me buy the bakkie to fix it as I checked & thought that it was repairable but they wouldn't budge so I had to get a new bantum. Now 1 year gone by & I receive a call from insurance investigating the case, I asked isn't it a little too late for that as a year has past & you only woke up now? then they hung up. 2 months later I get another call & this guy asked me if I had the bakkies book & spare key as he has repaired the bakkie. Now I'm totally pissed as my premiums shot up almost doubling payments even though I never caused the accident & now I found out that my bakkie is running again, so I called & queried this situation & I get no answer & get hung up every time I question them about it.

Santam Insurance & Integrisure Sucks big ass & I'm in the process of changing insurance. Could I take these Fukrs to court?

Last edited: 10 Dec 2010
  12. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

graham walker insurance brokers i never had an issue they always paid me out and sorted me out

13. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i had a simular issue where my vehicle was broken into with a crow bar, they wedged it inbetween the doors by the pillar to pry the front one open. upon assessment i was told that they would replace the doors with new doors but i wound up getting a repaired door (and the damage was still visible to an extent)

i tried to fight it but i got nowhere.

Santam have been good to me in other area's where insurance was concerned. but where vehicles are the case they suck!

14. SIMS

SIMS

the broker just works on your behalf through the insurer. You pay him a fee and he just hands the stuff to the insurance company.

15. SIMS

SIMS

One must understand how these guys work. The problem starts with the assesor. They are almost always sharks. The pannel beaters give them kick backs to write off vehicles so they can buy them as "scrap" - around R10 000 for a 3 year old bantam. The pannel beater then fixes it with pirate parts and very little cost as they have guys sitting around to do the work. Then they sell them as second hand vehicles and make some cash. YOU pay the bill as the insurer pushes up your premiums. Its a very flawed system. You need to find a honest broker, assessor and pannel beater. Something that does not exist. I have a decent broker. I ensure I am there when the assesor is there to look at my vehicle and I have built a relationship with my pannel beaters - all that means is I can call him a shark to his face and he smiles and changes the quote. Best thing imo is top forget it. Just follow up with your insurer as to where the case is to recover funds from the guy who caused the accident - it can take years to sort out. As far as going to court - well just remember these guys invoice out close on 2 or 3 billion rand a month so it will be very hard to fight them. As with most things now days the one with the biggest wallet wins as far as courts goes. Its just not worth the hassle. Also don't thing for 1 second that any of the other insurance companies are going to give you good honest cover.

Last edited: 10 Dec 2010
  16. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

its a sad state of affairs..

17. colbar

colbar

I agree, speak to the top dog and dont settle for second best.
    Give them a HARD time or go to the ombudsman!!!. Good Luck!

18. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help guys, at least I know I'm not being totally unfair then!

19. Andreas

Andreas

Lighty sorry to hear about the ordeal, but this something in the making by your driving skills:p I should've sued you for the damage you cause to my skull:1:

I was involved in a small accident a while ago if you remember and must admit the entire process was handled extremely well. From my insurance broker to Santam to the panel beaters. I was extremely "chuffed". The only thing that irritated me like Sims has pointed out was the assesor. I got the feeling that he thought he was doing me a favour and I didn't like the way he handled the situation.

Anyway, I agree with your statement and I will also not settle for any pirate parts as you still pay a full premium eventhough your car is not brand new irrespective of the mileage. They're taking a chance if you ask me.

20. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

Ok, that only happened once, or mmaybe twice I can't remember???

Stupid question, but are you sure they fitted OEM parts? how would one know anyway?

Recent Posts