Sand

Reaction score
Hi -new to this hobby and wondering if anyone has used the silicone sand that is used in swimming pool filters, in a sand filter system in a sump for a marine tank .Thank you

Have you considered collecting live sand from the beach? That is what i use.

I would definitely use beach sand. Silica sand has sharp edges and causes damage to fish and corals, it also does not have as large a surface area as a finer grained sand.

Thanks . I was just wondering as my local shop wants to sell me "special" sand for R285.00 per kilo .

Thanks . I was just wondering as my local shop wants to sell me "special" sand for R285.00 per kilo .

Aragonite is what you are looking for, but there are quite a few other substrates that can be used.

And YES, Aragonite is relatively expensive but R285 per kilo sounds over the top to me.

Do you remember what it was called ?

Pool sand doesn't look good in a tank, you'd regret using it.
That price for special sand seems ridiculous. It's normally that price for a bag.

IMO aragonite is best.

Here are my reasons why I'd never use beach snd for a display tank.

1. KZN beach sand is yellowish and doesn't look as nice as aragonite.
2. Aragonite reflects light, making your tank brighter, allowing corals grow faster.
3. Beach sand is less abrasive (hardness scale of about 5-6) and sharp than filter sand (hardness of 7) but still alot sharper than aragonite (hardness scale of around 3).
4. Aragonite acts as a pH and kH buffer, and beach sand doesn't.
5. Aragonite doesn't leach silica like beach sand, so you wont get unwanted sponges growing (although I don't mind them). However most importantly, if you have beach sand, your phosphate remover will take up SiO4 which will render it much less effective than if you ran a tank with aragonite...
6. If you don't get sand from below the low water mark at a clean, unpolluted beach, you run the risk of introducing hydrocarbons, heavy metals, pesticides, plastics, organic waste and pathogenic bacteria and viruses.

If you want a decent deal on marine products, I'd speak to Marco @TheWaterboy. I'm sure he can sort you out with reasonably priced stuff in Durban

Last edited by a moderator:
I do that too :lol:

even for a DSB, playsand is a better option than pool filter sand.
Just wash the sand properly

Back
Top Bottom