sand turning brown

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by denrzn, 12 Mar 2013.

1. denrzn

denrzn

hi guys,

i took notice that my by arogrite is starting to turn abit brown, the tank is running for about 3 weeks now.

is this nornmal or should i start doing something?

im also concern that my ammonia level was about 0,5 i was told to use special blend which i added 70mm to the 260 liters.

please help...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. durleo

durleo

THat is normal - it is probably diatoms - they will feed on the high nutrients but eventually disappear. Just turn the sand bed over.

4. JohnDoe

JohnDoe

Part of the cycle process. First ammonia, then ammonia drops and nitrite is produced, then nitrite drops and nitrate is produced, after the nitrate it would be considered to add a fish or two. Special blend can't hurt either, but I wouldn't rush the process unless you are a seasoned fish keeper.

Last edited: 12 Mar 2013
  5. denrzn

denrzn Thread Starter

thanks guys

6. pkc

pkc

Every thing will be coated in brown or green or cyano or coralline or what ever, that’s the nature of the combo, light, water, and nutrient.
    The diatom comment is the most likely; the brown is normally the husk after their diatom colony has done its bit.
    They normally prefer a substrate high in silica to settle on, but is happy enough with soluble silica mixed in with available nutrients and light of course. The brown husk is mostly silicon.

7. denrzn

denrzn Thread Starter

so this is normal, must i turn off the lights early i normally have it on for abt 7 hours and the tank is abt 3 weeks old

8. vipercore

vipercore

tagging

9. crispin

crispin

its perfectly normal:) let the tank settle and cycle its way through these blooms:)

10. pkc

pkc

As crispin said,it is normal, its annoying,but it is normal.
    I have made changes to my tanks at the moment and there is red cyano all over the place where the light is relatively weak due to massive feeding regime I have in place at the moment for that tank.
    I took all my tube worms out of the tubs where I put them after the power outage, around 60 of them, then out of their tubes and threw the tubes away to prevent any contamination from algae that may be attached and unseen on their tubes.
    When we had the power outage in the cyclone a month or so back they all dropped their heads any way,so it didn’t mater much.
    They all have their new heads grown back now and looking wonderful, so soon I can reduce feeding as they have fixed their heads and made new tubes in the holes they were all placed in.
    So I know how annoying your situation is to some degree.

In a few weeks it will all disappear. By then my algae externally will have consumed-imported all nutrients including the main nutrient that encourages cyano and hair algae and the others that look a bit revolting, that being orthophosphate.
    We can’t test for that normally.
    Your phosphate test kits show what phosphorus is present.

Last edited: 14 Mar 2013
  11. Cabrinha

Cabrinha

My tank looked horrible for like 1 week, but then it died off in like 2 days and never came back. I kept my lights and stuff running as normal.

12. pkc

pkc

I was just adding my pink sponge back and noticed the cyano is nearly all gone. It doesn’t take long normally. Of course if you have a substantial substrate, it may take longer and may never be quite perfect.

13. Landu

Landu

i recently rescaped my tank, running for 2 years, and also started getting some diatome blooms, but as mentioned above, it's a good sign that your cycle is in full swing and you could start adding a specimen or two...for my tank, i normally reduce MH light period and turn the substrate, which seems to worsen the bloom, but reduces the period...that's what works for me :)

Recent Posts