Sand Sifting Sea Star Help

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Jason.Ribeiro, 2 Jan 2012.

1. Jason.Ribeiro

Jason.Ribeiro

I been worried about my star fish as I have just learned i need live sand so my star fish won't starve to death. I have CC and apparently it has all the living organisms the star needs to sustain it's life in the tank, but i'm also told it will eat all the living organisms and the sand will be rendered "dead".... so whats any different from CC and live sand. I add food, vitamins, and nutrients in every 3 days. Calcium 2 times a week and iodine once a week. Is this not enough for it? Or should I get live sand which will end up dead in any case? :confused1:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hill

Hill

How long is a piece of string?

How can anyone give you any meaningful information without knowing the size of your tank, the depth and surface area of the sand and the size of your star to start with?

Generally you would need a huge amount of live sand/CC to sustain a star for any significant amount of time.

Oh yes over time your CC will become live.

How course is your CC?

Having a largish refugium may help sustain life in the display CC by constantly "replenishing" the CC in the display tank with life from the water column. Hope that makes sense.

4. Jason.Ribeiro

Jason.Ribeiro Thread Starter

it's a "nano-cube 28g" 130 liters. i don't know the rest. It's about 3 cm of sand. Its quite a lot of sand.

5. frankie fish

frankie fish

I wouldn't personally add a star to a tank less than 600 litres,with loads of sand. I have 2 sand sifters in my tank,and feel that i should've got only one. The bad thing is,it will burrow into the sand,and starve to death without you knowing,and removing it from the sand every day or two will cause a lot of stress. How old is you tank? Another thing,a star dying in a nano will cause a huge spike in ammonia ect,and may cause other livestock to suffer. My suggestion,remove the cc,and replace it with sand. If interested, i am going to kzn in feb,maybe i can help you out with a bucket or two,just to jumpstart your tank,if your willing to meet me halfway,coz i stay in vereeniging.

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I say remove the star and sell/give it to someone with a big, established tank. Your tank is too small for a sand sifter in my opinion as the surface area of the sand is way too little to sustain it long term.

7. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

8. Jason.Ribeiro

My lfs didn't tell me anything about the star, he didn't tell me the ideal size tank or what sand i should use and my tank is only 2 months. If i do get live sand would i have to re-cure my tank? :L My lfssaid if i had to add another live rock to my tank i would have to re-cure the whole tank which would kill all my live-stock, but i see people with little money buy little rock at a time and add it in and they don't re-cure the whole thing. would it be the same with live sand?

@frankie fish- I'm only 15 , I would haveto ask my mom first :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. FransSny

FransSny

Another sad story of an LFS just selling LS.....he probably didnt know the requirements

As the guys said , your system is way to small , so pass it on , sell it , return it etc. Those guys will kill off your sand in no time .

As for getting "Live Sand" from KZN.....I cant see that happening, the trip will kill off everything due to temp , O2 levels etc. So basically you would end up with dead beach sand.

It is always better to add LR all at once , but adding a piece a month and keeping your maintenance procedures 100 % will make sure you dont have ant dead inmates. If this is the route you want to go I would also say dont add any fishies untill your LR is where you want it to be . You can also add bacterial products to re populatre the LR quicker

10. Jason.Ribeiro

I just got back from my lfs and he said my star would be fine, he said that he wouldnt have sold me the star if the tank was too small.

11. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Where does he think the star will get enough food to sustain himself? In a 2 week old nano? Sorry, but I disagree completely, and you can tell him I say so.
    Just remember that we give advice from experience and we don't gain anything financial from it, unlike him that sells you the star. And he doesn't care if it dies in your tank, it's not his loss. We only worry and care about the well being of the live stock, otherwise we wouldn't have said to rather give or sell it to someone with an established and big enough tank.

12. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

That's just because he doesn't want to give you your money back.

Sand sifting starfish are eating machines, to quote another website - "this voracious feeder will quickly clean your aquarium of detritus and then burrow into your substrate, starve, and eventually begin to decay. " and also - "should be kept in aquariums with large, deep sand bottoms of several inches in depth".

The problem or rather the easy way out for certain shops selling these starfish is that the starfish can take a few months to slowly starve and eventually die, by then you can not blame the LFS for your dead starfish as he will blame it on something else in your tank because you've already had it for a few months. I suggest you do some googling, print out a few articles (there are loads) and show them to the shop and demand your money back or ask them to exchange it for a piece of live rock or something. Speak to your Dad about it and get him to go with you.

13. Jason.Ribeiro

Thank for the help. I'll ask my friends dad who's kept marine aquariums for a couple years now and recently started up a business, he said he would help me out with it. My lfs won't take it back or exchange for different live stock. I been on Google and everyone says the same thing; need a bigger tank, more sand (live sand) etc etc. All of which you guys have been telling me. I'll sell it to my friends Dad, He has several aquariums and 2 are very large. Poor star :(

14. frankie fish

frankie fish

@FransSny,i had relatively good success with bringing livesand up from kzn,agree that there will be some die-off,and the waterprams will go haywire in a nano system,but i never had any problems,but then again,thats just me. Iam a firm believer in livesand,and my substrate comes from Hiberedene,not very fine,just nice.

15. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Jason, I suggest you don't support that LFS anymore. We have sponsors on the forum with lots of experience that will help you.

16. Jason.Ribeiro

@Tobes The problem it is one of your sponsors. Exotic Aquariums and Pets

17. Express Reef

Express Reef

Well in that case we must impose sanctions against them, we dont buy from them for one year period ;)

18. Jason.Ribeiro

Haha I agree

Recent Posts