Sand Sifting Goby VS Sand Sifting Starfish

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by ccwilke, 7 Jul 2013.

Voter count: 38
?

SandSifter Goby vs Sandsifting Starfish

1. Sandsifting Goby

60.5%
  2. Sandsifting Starfish

39.5%
  1. ccwilke

ccwilke Majestic Pets Solutions Sponsor

Hi Reefers

I need something to clean and aerate my Aragonite !

Please share your personal preference and the reasons please!

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bendor

Bendor

If your tank is only big enough for one I choose the goby.

Highly visible, full of character and rescapes your tank for free!

4. yuma girl

yuma girl

I have both sand sifting star fish and a sand sifting goby. The sand sifting goby I want to seriously clap as he is always spitting sand all over my zoa's and corals. I am always having to take a baster and gently uncover everything:whistling:

Sure he has lots of character and lovely yellow and blue head but hell he annoys me most days ;)

5. Bendor

Bendor

I have the diamond head goby. Most forums said it doesn't really mess over the corals and tends to drop where it picks up. So far this has been true except immediately around it's cave. A mushroom or two sometime gets covered but all and all his a pleasure.

6. yuma girl

yuma girl

@Bendor, I have a diamond back Goby and he doesn't mess much either, except where he makes his cave.. But the sleeper head or blue cheek goby ... That's the one who is a nuisance.. Seriously regret getting him.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. ccwilke

ccwilke Thread Starter Majestic Pets Solutions Sponsor

I also had the Diamond Sand Sifting Goby.When my tank cracked 2 weeks ago I lost it.Now maybe thinking on getting a starfish.But he was cool had so much character....

8. King_Triton

King_Triton

Hey Bendor I have a sand sifting star, and they''re great. Mine has never totally hidden itself. It sinks into the sand but u can still see it. Also moves quiet fast for a star fish. And it moves around stuff, so it doesn't cause any hassles with moving corals etc. Definitely worth it.

9. King_Triton

King_Triton

[​IMG]

10. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

I would definitely recommend a sandsifting starfish!
    Gobies will rescape your whole tank every day, & cover your rocks & corals in aragonite!

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

depending on goby species.
    Yellow Streak / golden head or whatever other name it goes by, they will. But that do also depends on substrate type and flow in the tank. The bigger the substrate and less flow, the higher they will swim up before sifting, resulting in sand over everything that is low. Finer sand and more flow, they do not swim up that high anymore.

Diamond back or the orange spotted ones, are nice. If you can get the lagoon goby, they are just as beautiful. These gobies do sift sand, but do not swim up to sift it.

Most sand sifting stars needs a lot of sand to be able to survive. My 1.5m was not enough, and putting it in my remote DSB did not help either. The end points starts to break up, and from there it is just a downhill path until it disappear one day.

12. Bendor

Bendor

I agree with Riaan. I was also worried about the survival rate of stars and gobies and the fact that you can feed (some) gobies and improve survival was a big positive. Reef Central (I think) had a poll on blue cheek goby survival and I remember only half making it past 6 months. My diamond goby eats until it's belly bulges, but still sifts sand lik a maniac. So far so good.

I think it depends on your ultimate goal:
    Visibility and character mainly
    Substrate CUC mainly
    Survival rates

I assume the starfish is a better cleaner and substrate aerator because it goes deeper but that's just a guess.

Which one is the better cleaner?

13. Dorry

Dorry dorry

Love the starfish, so when i want to bye one they call sand sifting starfish.

14. Dorry

Dorry dorry

This what i was looking for fish can clean and the san bed not reshape my tank. I bought a week ago a pistol shrimp, he stay with my aerial gobies, 2 more and the one always chase this one, where pistol and other goby stay see pistol makes more opening. When this one gobies been chase he dive for pistol and other goby. It happen so fast herd sound see nothing except for the gobie doing the chase work, but he is not moving his head still at the entrains of the hole I want to chase him away to his spot, but was dead as a nail. Mr pistol short hime out once and for ever.

15. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Would definitely hav the goby as they are funny little fish and if natural behaviour is what you're after then its a definite shower and funtional fish as it really mows through the substrate so make sure you train it to get some frozens aswell. Also they are prone to be nennie food as they stick close to the rocks and bottom while being not the most intelligent fish.

The starfish is slow and boring, which doesnt really add to visual appeal as much as the little globalomine goby

Last edited: 8 Jul 2013
  16. tyronvs

tyronvs

you can get them in richards bay

17. Dorry

Dorry dorry

Thanks Trronvs, Richards bay not that small anymore, and all the changes they do to the poor town on a daily base re structuring. Pm me more or less where Lol the exact spot. :tt2: Thanks.

18. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Starfish will die eventually. Mine died in a couple weeks, Rather get the fish will last much much longer

19. King_Triton

King_Triton

Not in all cases, my star is very happy, i can tell because its gotten much bigger from when i got him. also his colours are starting to be more outlined. including the blue spots in the centre, which you dont see in a hurry.

20. Dorry

Dorry dorry

I have my blue starfish 14 month. Very healthy and a love. Pity he only get up and about at night time. During day time sleeping.

21. King_Triton

King_Triton

Guess we can say each star had its own "personality ". Mine has never been hidden from the time I got it. Always moving from one spot to the next

Recent Posts