Sand sifter ?

Reaction score
Hi all. I am looking for a fish that is good at sifting through the sand to keep it clean. Any ideas ??

Reaction score
They are also known as a Golden-headed Sleeper Goby or a blue cheek jawfish.
I have one... they are awsome... but they do drop substrate on your rocks... some ppl dont like them because of this.

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
dont you need the creatures in the sand?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I think that this would be the best bet - as you guys have already mentioned. Otherwise - if your tank is old enough to have enough detritus lying around in the sand, perhaps try a sea-cucumber.... I have one and he is doing WONDERS to the detritus that was causing crap in my tank (in the sand)..... NOW, If I could only get something that would hoover my live rock clean without my intervention!

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Ocean - I think it's more a case of having detritus cleaned up from the sand that the micro-critters. BUT, I agree - the jawfish does not discriminate....

BUT, that said - as long as there are not too many jawfish - the micro-critters repopulate so quickly.....

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
ok so there fine cool but do thay reproduce faster if they get eatin

Reaction score
The jawfish sounds good. Anyone know where I can get one near Durban. Tried Julies Mekaeel, but they have no stock of anything.

Reaction score
Here is a fantastic sandsifter just don't have anything on the substrate or they will cover it. Make sure you also feed pellets that drop fast otherwise they will starve. BTW mine have just spawned.
Pretty Prawn Goby (Valencienna puellaris)
tank108.jpg

Reaction score
Sims they eat it and expel via their gills. Only if they get a freight and swim they expel as they swim.

Reaction score
I got mine from local LFS and you should ask them. I am sure they will also be able to order some.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
I agree with Alfie, those Orange Spot Goby's are awesome, I prefer them to the blue cheek goby's.

Reaction score
I phoned Julies & they say they have no livestock at all. When did you see them ?