Sand Nennie hurt - Help ??

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by yuma girl, 16 May 2013.

1. yuma girl

yuma girl

Hi all

i got home last night and for some reason my sand nenie got dislodged from under the rock and was rubbing (one side) agains some of my zoas..

i quickly moved her away and noticed that on the side that was rubbing against my zoas her tantacles had shriveled up and some of them were faling off... :(

i lifted her up and checked all sides and her foot was still a nice bright orange red colour no scratches or open wounds etc - everything looks fine except that one side that was against the zoas..

i put her back in her spot and made sure she was secure.. she wasn't a happy chappy.. so i switched off the lights and let her be for the night.

this morning when i got up she was looking better - all her tentacles were puffed up again - BUT some of her tentacles got downsized, and some fell off completely on the side that was hurt..

her mouth was closed and she regained her normal size..

what should i do?? did the zoas sting her that badly??

i didn't take a pic as i was late for work this morning from making sure nennie was A -ok :blush: ...work aint as important LOL

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Crap that's not good but neni will be ok me thinks. Yes the palytoxin is that potent to do that kind of damage.

Last edited: 16 May 2013
  4. yuma girl

yuma girl Thread Starter

was quite worried as don't want her to die and destroy my entire tank. ;)

do you think the tentacles will grow back ??

5. Nur

Nur Starz

Dose some Iodine, 1ml per 100l tank volume. Also cut up some fresh/frozen fish size of you pinky nail. Check if nennie takes it with her tentacles, DO NOT shove it in her mouth. This is to see f the nennie is still sticky and able to take food to her mouth by herself. Monitor her to check if she spits out the food if she consumes it.

6. Nur

Nur Starz

Should grow back no problem, if eating and healthy. Ive seen a nennie literally go through a sun sun pump, she recovered and looked even better than before.

7. yuma girl

yuma girl Thread Starter

@Nur - thanx will get some fresh hake or something today and will cut it up for her. i will dose iodine as well about 1.5 ml as tank is 150 ltrs.

what do i do if she is not "sticky" ?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. yuma girl

yuma girl Thread Starter

@Nur - BTW the frogspawn i got from you is doing so well - it has almost doubled its size!

9. yuma girl

yuma girl Thread Starter

@Nur - here's the frogspawn

IMG_0199.jpg

10. Nur

Nur Starz

Then you have to mnitor her closely, that stickyness/coating provides a protective coating and is for taking food and moving to mouth. Dont force her to eat u will upset her more and she will move around again and possible get hurt again. if she wants she will take up the food using her tentacles.

11. Nur

Nur Starz

Glad you like it. i hae a few larger colonies available once your larger setup is running. did you get sorted with the light?

12. yuma girl

yuma girl Thread Starter

yes ok - will monitor her very closely and will make sure she is OK. will try feed her tonight a small piece of fresh fish. I hope she won't stress too much with this move as the new tank needs to go into the same space as the current tanks..

yip i am taking @Ayoob 's lights as it will fit perfectly. He will bring them on Saturday when he comes to help me with the tank move :biggrin:

Once my tank is up and running properly will probably need a few frags so will definately take you up on that one! thx :thumbup:

13. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Agree with @Nur. If the anemone was otherwise healthy then it should recover fully, they can be quite resilient, as long as the damage/injury isn't too bad and doesn't cover too much of the anemone, it should soon return to it's full glory.

Last edited: 26 Nov 2015
  14. yuma girl

yuma girl Thread Starter

@viper357 - OK, i will try get a picture of it tonight so you guys can tell me what you think.. i have had her for two weeks now and she has been feeding regularly, and spat out a couple of waste balls. i have fed her twice with frozen fish and otherwise she grabs some of the mysis that comes close to her..

she normaly fully extends during the day.. i think she moved yesterday because of the flow - but not sure...

my marroon clown is not hosting her - never showed any interest realy.

Recent Posts