Sand going brown. What's the cause

Travis1

(wilsontravy)
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have recently upgraded to a bigger system, not a new system but a tank that has been running for more than a year now so tank is fairly mature. I have done nothing but add my live stock from previous setup and bigger sump with reactor. Would this cause a small cycle again?

Not sure as to why my sand is going brown, could it be lighting cycle?

I have checked my parameters and all are with in spec?

Thanks

Any major disturbance to substrate will definately cause a mini cycle so just have to wait it out like new tank syndrome

Thanks, should I leave the sand alone then? Back in the days I used to shift it around to get rid of the unsightly look of it.

image.jpeg

You can vacuum your substrate, this will help remove the extra nutrients being leached through the sand. Remember that your sand locks nutrients through time and now that you have moved it to a new tank it has loosened them. That is why they recommend regular vacuum of the sand to prevents this from happening, also adding a sand sifting goby, starfish or snail helps constantly turns the sand also aiding in this.

You can vacuum your substrate, this will help remove the extra nutrients being leached through the sand. Remember that your sand locks nutrients through time and now that you have moved it to a new tank it has loosened them. That is why they recommend regular vacuum of the sand to prevents this from happening, also adding a sand sifting goby, starfish or snail helps constantly turns the sand also aiding in this.

Ok cool, thanks for the input.

Back
Top Bottom