Sand bed

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Titanse, 11 Jan 2010.

1. Titanse

Titanse

Hi Ppl

Just out of curiousity, I have a mix sand bed in DT. It is about 3-5cms deep, want it for gobies to hide in, and is a mix between crushed coral and sand.

I was wondering if I should only have sand and a little crushed coral (requires me removing some to Sump) or leave it as is...

Sorry no pics at the moment - at work...

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Depends on how large the crushed coral particles are. If they are rice crispies size, then that is too big for most goby' - even blue cheeck gobies...

If they are about 1-3mm sized, then that should be fine. I do think though, that 3-5cm thickness might be a bit shallow if the specimen is large. Another think, make sure your LR sits on the glass and not on the sand. These fish will dig under LR, making all tumble down. ;)

4. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

It is best to have fine sand for gobies as it passes through their gill openings and big pieces of crushed coral will make it difficult.
    How old is the tank now?
    Please don't add a goby before the tank hasn't matured at least 6 months. They sieve for critters, and don't add more than one unless you have a very very big mature tank as they can deplete the critters in a sandbed very quickly.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I have a golden head.
    When I had a rice crispy substrate, he used to take a bite and swim up 10 to 15cm to sift it. Think he is looking for more flow to be able to sift the substrate. Well the problem was he dropped crushed coral all over the lower lying pieces of rocks, mushrooms, tubeworms etc.

Now I got playsand. And he does not go up that much anymore. Swim maximum 5cm up then he sift the substrate. Must be easier because it is finer.

BTW, mine eats flakes and frozen food as well.

6. Titanse

Titanse Thread Starter

Well it is a mix... the coral substrate is between a few mm's to about a 10 mm's

I have fine sand on top of the coral substrate...

Recent Posts