sand and saltwater

Reaction score
15894980268e160c6.jpg

this is my tank, currently quite bare but i will be getting liverock on sat

im kinda just researching that part at the moment, im concentrating on the rock at the mo, deciding how to build it up to make my tank look the best it can..should i go for bigger pieces of rock or build up smaller pieces? i have 5kg waiting for me to pick up will i need more? its an 80l tank .

looking good there tankgirl...always so exciting to get things going hey:)

if you know of a reefer close to you maybe ask if you can swap a cup of their sand with yours, its a great way to introduce live into a tank too. Ask mike, heæll know someone close:)

tank girl, pick your LR shape carefully as you dont have much space in a nano, so you want a nice diverse larger pieces to aquascape with. where are you getting LR from? ask their advice as well, esp if its STM

im getting it from swallow aquatics the live rock was part of the package i got

Nice to see you started, and getting your rock soon, quite exciting stuff.

yip, i was :) and it gets better as it ages

well if its live sand then yes you should be sorted, sorry i assmed it was new out the bag :)

and YES its more than normal to get this excited about the LR...wait till its in a week or two and you start seeing critters comming out and growing......simply amazing how things apprear out the rockwork...you'll love the experience:)

yeah im so excited.....is it natural to be this excited about rock?:lol:

Mhh I recall Tom, Surgeon and myself emptying ,many a case of beer watching water and rock.

Wait till the critters start appearing and you wake the hubby up at 3 am to come look at the new worm or 7mm crap that you spotted after sitting in the dark with a torch for the whole night:lol:

Hi Tank Girl - Good start....

For 80 litres of water, you would require around 20 to 25kg's of live rock (a quarter to a third worth).... BUT, you can always "build up" to that - I know that 20kg's worth of live rock is QUITE expensive.

A few larger pieces would be "nice" - especially some flatter pieces, that you can "build" a network of caves for the fish to hide in/sleep in....

The "live sand" that you bought, contains bacteria of all sorts - BUT, not any micro fauna yet.

Getting a "handful of live sand" means that you get some seeding sand - full of worms/amphipods/copepods/ (possibly) micro brittle stars, etc....

This assists with the cycling time.... BUT - it is not a necessity - it will happen as soon as you have some live rock in the tank, as well... it might/will just just take a wee bit longer.

Good luck, and don't be scarce with the pics now, hey!

im kinda just researching that part at the moment, im concentrating on the rock at the mo, deciding how to build it up to make my tank look the best it can..should i go for bigger pieces of rock or build up smaller pieces? i have 5kg waiting for me to pick up will i need more? its an 80l tank .

You do know that you can use (the great south african invention) Pratleys Putty (ask Mike for the name in the UK) to glue rocks together and make them stand etc:thumbup:

Really makes getting the shapes that you want easier

hahhaha good job im not married realy! although my partner has had enough already....she doesnt understand why rock is so exciting..but she will! mwhahahahha

Back
Top Bottom