RSS San Francisco proposes tropical fish ban

Discussion in 'RSS Feeds' started by MASA Admin, 18 Jun 2011.

1. MASA Admin

MASA Admin Moderator

San Francisco - a city known for controversial bans - is considering yet another ban on pets. The latest proposal effects pet stores and breeders within the San Francisco border by restricting the sale of tropical fish along with other small animals such as puppies, kittens, and rodents.

More...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

There's this doing their rounds here in SA as well ... My friend owning a pet shop is really worried as heard from his reps as well about the freshwater fishies getting banned ... Anyone know anything more on this .....

4. chikaboo

chikaboo

bump .... My buddy says that he heard something about only 5 species of marine fish being allowed into SA ... No inverts, liverock, ALL tropical .... Some hectic new regulations coming out for importing of livestock .... especially exotic pets .... Any of the sponsors know anything about it .... or anyone else

5. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

yes, i can confirm i have heard this.....and that some people"no names mentioned" are trying to motivate this.

6. chikaboo

chikaboo

Bloody Hell .... Just when I'm trying to get the ocean to Newcastle! My poor friend who owns a pet shop heard this from his reps and now just when we getting the waves rolling here in Newcastle ... How does this affect us here in SA .... BTW .... The link to more on this story not going anywhere ...

Last edited: 21 Jun 2011
  7. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Hi guys, its been a concern for about 4 years that Stores cant keep puppies / kittens and birds , its not the goverments focus yet , but the banning of fish is also on the cards.

The director of our company went to JHB last week to a meeting with all the other SAPTA members to meet with the lawers and see what the progress is on fighting the praposed government act.

Most stores have been asked to join SAPTA - South African Pet Traders Assosiation.
    Wher you pay X ammount to be a member and that money goes towards the legal fees in fighting the new prepossed act.

Also the stores can send there staff to Training courses , on Bird keeping / tropicle fish keeping and reptile care ect.

As far as i know, they arnt outright saying now to parots for example , but saying the minimum cage size for 1 african grey in a store and at home should be 5m x 4 m ect.
    I get the idea they realize the huge income genirated in the pet trade and are trying to regulate it , top get a slice of that pie.

If there is interest , i can find out the facts and give a propper update ?
    let me know if there is enough interest.

David

8. SIMS

SIMS

I am very interested in the rumour that Marco has mentioned. It has been doing the rounds over the last few weeks and if true changes the entire ball game.

9. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

id also like to get the true story......i hate hearing 1 side only...........but the side i heard basically implicates a few shop owners who want to enforce the ban to take control for personall gain while screwing the trade, however that is one side.....i have not spoken to the people who's names where mentioned to hear there side ...(to busy trying to run my own bussiness and life at the moment).......if infact the rumours are true or not

10. SIMS

SIMS

if they are true then my rics just went up 10000% :p

11. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

**** you..............ive commited to 15 at my price.....possibly 25:tt2:

12. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

IMO, this is all just rumor, as there is far too much at stake here with employment issues, taxes generated, etc. So lets see what crawls out of the woodwork in the future.

13. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Hi guys , this is a mail i got a while back , thourght it might be interesting

SAPTA
    P.O BOX 26733 TEL: 083 288 7574 EAST RAND FAX: 0866819303 1462

20 June 2011

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

RE: NEW PERMIT CHANGES – PREVENTING THE IMPORT OF ALL WILD CAUGHT MARINES

It has recently been brought to our attention that there have been some drastic changes to the permits that have been issued to importers of marine ornamentals into South Africa. It seems that the authorities that regulate and issue import permits to the trade have chosen to change the existing permits from an -“IMPORT PERMIT” to a “PERMIT TO IMPORT CULTURED MARINE ORNAMENTAL SPECIES”. The original permit had no restrictions regarding whether specie was cultured or captive bred, and the newer permits that have been issued, have an added clause 4.2 under permit restrictions.

“4.2 THIS PERMIT SHALL NOT BE USED FOR THE IMPORTATION OF WILD CAUGHT SPECIES.”

The relevant authorities have made these changes without consulting the trade or affected bodies and have made no attempt to explain or justify the new changes. It is SAPTA`s opinion that urgent attention be brought to this matter and that we as an unified voice for the industry will seek legal representation to probe this very unsettling situation with immediate affect.

At this point we are calling all affected parties to join us and support this fight, as this issue will definitely destroy the trade of marine ornamentals and all associated dry goods into South Africa as we know it. It will also cost a 30 year old established industry hundreds of jobs in a country in desperate need of employment creation. In its current form this will ultimately affect every one of us. SAPTA is currently assembling a task team to deal with this and ask that all affected, contribute through membership to ensure effective representation and to pool resources to fight this.

Kindly contact Adam Scott at exaqua@mweb.co.za should you have any queries.

Regards
    The SAPTA Committee

20 June 2011

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

RE: SAPTA MEMBERSHIP

SAPTA is proud to announce a new membership structure that has been approved by the SAPTA committee and will be implemented from 1 June 2011. All existing membership will be transformed into the new structure. Our membership structure per annum is as follows:

§ Bronze members – R500.00 Small Pet Traders etc.
    § Silver members – R1 000.00
    § Gold members - R2 000.00 Suggested entry level for wholesaler manufacturers
    § Platinum members – R4000.00

The structure is a more friendly structure that does not differentiate between the type of member, only the level that you as a member are willing to contribute to SAPTA. It should be noted that SAPTA is a non profit organization and that all funds are utilized to protect and build a better Pet trade industry that we all benefit from. As a prospective new member you commit to abide by our Code of Ethics and not bring this organization into disrepute. Once payment is received and approved, SAPTA will forward brochures, a statement, a certificate as proof of membership as well as monthly newsletters to you. SAPTA members will qualify for discount on all training courses arranged through SAPTA as well as advertising in our news paper, PET BUZZ. SAPTA has also managed to arrange special rates for all members on the credit/debit card machines. Please enquire about these rates at info@sapettraders.co.za. SAPTA will apply for fish permits on your behalf. SAPTA will continually keep you up to date with new legislation. Your business will be listed on SAPTA’s website.

Kindly contact Daleen Buitendag at 083 288 7574 should you have any queries.

Regards
    The SAPTA Committee

Recent Posts