Salty G's Reef

@SaltyG Was wondering after looking at your pics, is it better to have the wave makers facing up than straight forward? Just curious if I must adjust mine if it causes a better flow slanted upwards?
Tank looks awesome so far :m106:

@SaltyG Was wondering after looking at your pics, is it better to have the wave makers facing up than straight forward? Just curious if I must adjust mine if it causes a better flow slanted upwards?
Tank looks awesome so far :m106:
Thanks!!
As you know every setup is unique and it does take some time to get it dialed in.
My return is very strong so that blasts water down towards the left corner of the tank and creating nice flow over the rocks on the left side and running across the tank to the right hand side.The Seio prop wavemaker on the left blows into the current of the return breaking the force of the return pump and makes it nice and turbulant. The power head on the right hand side just moves the water over to the left side and the stream collides with the rest of the pumps making uneven flow.
I tilt my power head upwards mainly to agitate the surface of the water for better gas exchange and it creates a nice shimmer from the LED lights.Some people will say that you need flow to prevent dead zones where dirtritus builds up but I have nice flow all over the tank.
I also have ocean white super fine substrate in the tank and having the powerheads blow upward it doesnt blow the substrate to bits.There is good all round flow with certain areas that are a bit more calm.

Lets say 250 ish total volume setup with a return of 4000l/h, the Seio prop 2000l/h and the jvp pump on the right hand side 4000l/h = 10 000l/h total flow. around 40 times turnover per hour.

At the end it depends...If you have a bare bottom then tilt it facing straight ahead or at an angle because you will net have sand flying all over the place.

I firmly believe in getting the surface of the water agitated for better gas exchange.Ridding the water of CO2 build up and oxygenating the water wich in turn for example leads to more stable Ph etc. and it look awesome when the shimmer effect is created.

Hope this gives you some idea of what you want to do going forward.

Happy reefing!!

Last edited:
Thanks bud, will relook and do the sums on my tank :thumbup:
Cool
As i said, You do what works best for you in your tank.Have you started a thread for you tank?Cant remember if i have seen it yet.All the best.
What a damn awesome hobby/ passion!!!

I haven't updated my thread in a while[new member thread], will start a proper tank thread next week

So yesterday the filling process started.firstly the red sea ocean white substrate went in.
20180607_181711.jpg

How much sand was used in your tank as I have a similar size and am wanting to use the same sand.

So i saw whilst the tank was cycling that there were stringy strands type things on my glass.

I cleaned it and it came back within a few days.cleaned it again and it seemed not to return.

The past few weeks i saw some algae on some rocks.

Thinking that it might be bryopsis i googled it because have never had it in previous tanks.indeed it seems like this bastard has gotten a grab of the rocks.

I removed the rocks that had it on them and i am going to scrub off the algae.
I read up a bit about the good results people have been having with fluconazole treatment.I have read the threads on Masa.

Anyone with some input with regards to this where they recently tried it?

Last edited:
Pics always help they say lol
Hi There sorry i already started cleaning the rock and did not take a photo.

Going to let the rock remain in a dark container for a few days or weeks.Got some flow on it.Think i might have stepped in just in time before it got a real hold on my tank.

O.k new battle plan!!!Screw this bryopsis killkanga!!!
Myself and @Keenreefer84 got hold of some fluconazole(Must have been an interesting discussion at the pharmacy:whistling:) a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do hey..

So i Have some Bryopsis in my tank and i read up all that there is to read about fluconazole treatment for bryopsis and for GHA as well. At 200mg /10gallons or around 40 liters, I broke open 6 capsules and added it to a jug of water(The aftermath of cutting open the capsules looked like something out of breaking bad)

Side note: I am dosing NOPOX and I think that has halted the speedy growth of the algae as the nitrates and phosphates are almost undetectable.The algea is a very pale color.The new dose of fluconazole should give it the final blow.

I turned off my skimmer and added the mix to an high flow area.

So Day 1 is in full swing.I will keep you updated over the 14 - 15 day period.

P.s the bryopsis has not taken over at all.Just starting so I am just preventing a full blown outbreak.How do they say...an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.

Hopefully all plays out well.

Cheers:peroni: and happy reefing!!!

Last edited:
Very nice!!

How's the bryopsis situation?
Hi There

Thanks

The bryopsis is almost wiped out.It turned a pale white color and i can sort of see it melting away slowly.Corals are not affected at all.Just need to do n proper water change once the 2 weeks Fluconazole treatment has run its course.

Very chuffed with the new addition to the tank.Going to see how it goes before adding anything more.

Don't rush into a water change after flucanzole - I would do 21 days before you change some water. I rushed the 1st time I did it and in the areas that got low light the Bryopsis was not completely dead and it gradually made a come back.

Don't rush into a water change after flucanzole - I would do 21 days before you change some water. I rushed the 1st time I did it and in the areas that got low light the Bryopsis was not completely dead and it gradually made a come back.
Thanks for the heads up!!

Back
Top Bottom