Salty G's Reef

Reaction score
Hi guys
So I thought it was time to start my new build/tank/reef thread.

The ocean is such passion and a huge part of my life and I'm starting up a new reef in my home.I have seen some awesome setups of some of the members here on this forum.You all inspire me.

"The Ocean stirs the heart,inspires the imagination and brings eternal joy to the soul - Robert Wyland"

Being out of the game for about 2 or 3 years, I'm back at it.I had a 120 liter nano that I ran with great success and the plan was to restart the old nano but being the bug that it is, i had to go a bit bigger.

Having a friend fueling the fire...(My wallet is crying at the moment), it has been a busy few days shopping for some stuff.

The plan is to do this build as neat as possible.I want a clean look with this new tank.So being as excited as a kid on his birthday here are some specs.

Main display tank 900x500x500 rimless with a centre overflow box(overflow box built out of tinted glass to hide plumbing inside.Drilled at the bottom).Will be adding live rock from my previous system

Sump 650x350x350 3 compartments.

Total volume around 300 liters.

First compartment of the sump will have the inlet from the DT and some filter sponges and live rock rubble.Filter floss between the baffles.
Second compartment will house a Bubble magus curve 5 Skimmer and some Matrix and some more fine filter floss in the next set of baffles.
The third compartment will house the return pump 4500l/h.
Would like to install dosser at later stage as soon as the tank is more established with coral.

Next to the sump there will be an auto top up setup(Thinking around 30 or 40 liter container) with the optical sensor to replenish with RO water.

Lighting
I will be running a Zetlight ZS 7200 and I am so exited to have these LED's on the system.

Flow
I will be running 2x seio 530 props in the DT for now @ 2000l/h each as well as the return @ 4500l/h
I will invest in a Jebao powerhead with controller to replace the cheaper pumps as time goes on.

Heating
EHEIM Jager heater.

Looking at 10% water change every 1 to 2 weeks.Mixing RO water with coral pro salt.

Still waiting on the stand to be finished hopefully tomorrow.Plan is to round it off with some nice wood to make a cabinet and the panels to attach with magnets for easy access to work in the sump.

Well...looking forward to set up this new reef and making it thrive and hopefully keeping the hands out of the tank as much as possible:m06:

Last edited:
The Hardware growing day by day

20180524_072634.jpg

Sneaking a peak...we all know this feeling opening up a new piece of marine tech
20180531_183536.jpg

Hi there,

Looking AWESOME! I'm planing a very similar size tank so going to keep a close eye on this one!

Do you mind sharing your glass thickness with me? Is it 10mm or 12mm?

Kind Regards

Schalk

Hi there,

Looking AWESOME! I'm planing a very similar size tank so going to keep a close eye on this one!

Do you mind sharing your glass thickness with me? Is it 10mm or 12mm?

Kind Regards

Schalk

Hi Schalk

Using 10mm glass.

Cheers

Tank looks good and big. That is a single bed it is on temporary, gives another idea on its size.

Tank looks good and big. That is a single bed it is on temporary, gives another idea on its size.
Hi yes
Its on one of my guest room single beds.Volume of the Display tank is around 225 liters wit the sump at 80 liters. Displacement of the rock and live sand, it should be a bit less total volume.

The Stand is finished and the setup will begin this evening. @Keenreefer84 , a good friend of mine is helping me.so between the beers all the plumbing should be finished by tonight.
Getting the last 175 liters of water i need after work and then the build begins.I will post progress pics as we go along.

Looking good so far - Happy reefing days to follow - :1:

So the build has started...had to get some last minute stuff but last night it was chaos in my living room with pipes and glue en bulkheads and silicon etc.oh and dont forget the beers!!!!

Lifted the tank on to the stand and started the overflow plumbing.we put the sump in place with some room on the right for the auto top up container.meassured it and i figure i can get around a 40liter top up container in there.
20180605_193454.jpg

Back
Top Bottom