Salty G's Reef

Reaction score
New addition to the reef..
Want to hear some opinions on this one.all my life believed that this is a frogspawn...but that it is actually a hammer/anchor coral and not n froggy.

Sorry for the crap picture...really need to start taking pics with the DSLR camera and not the phone..
20180729_181805.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ja I spoke to a few people and they are saying its a Hammer or anchor type coral and not n frogspawn.Very interesting indeed.I always thought it to be a froggy.

Some of the more coral boffin type guys can probably clarify this.Either way, it is a beautiful piece and i have always loved them.

Reaction score
Well guess it's time for an update.
Tank is still purring along nicely.Thanks to @Keenreefer84 i am adding an acro frag tonight.Fully believe in banking some frags in a friend's tank.Once my coral have grown a bit more i am definitely giving some frags to him to fill his giant tank.
have not added anything since last picture update.
Frag is still small but will hopefully grow into a nice sized colony with love and care.
Will post a pic tonight.

Reaction score
Ja I spoke to a few people and they are saying its a Hammer or anchor type coral and not n frogspawn.Very interesting indeed.I always thought it to be a froggy.

Some of the more coral boffin type guys can probably clarify this.Either way, it is a beautiful piece and i have always loved them.
Nice progress with the tank! :m106:

Definitely a frogspawn no doubt about it...all 3 are species of Euphyllia but an anchor will have a half moon shaped end to their tentacles while hammers have a blunt almost upside down triangular shape to the end of their tentacles...the frogspawn has rounded tips like the one in your pic, it’s axtually the shape of the tips that give it its common name.

Reaction score
This looks epic. May I ask what the total start up cost was?
Sho thats a question not most of us would like to be reminded of...ha ha

Let me think...

Display tank stand and sump R4500
Sand R 500 (I had some sand from my previous system as well)
Rock R 600 ( Had some rock from my previous system)
Plumbing R 300 (Guessing here.Pipes, bulkheads, bends, glue, silicon etc.)
Matrix R200
Return pump R 600
jeboa wavemaker R 1100
JVP wave maker R200
Seio prop R400
Bubble magus skimmer R2500
Coarse sponges R200 (Sponges in the sump to trap bubbles and dertritus)
Eheim heater 150watt R400 (Guessing here.They are expensive heaters)
Dophin 250 heater R300
Light Zetlight ZS 7200 R7500 (LED lights)
Smart Auto top up R1600
Testkits red sea pro R1000 (Alk, CA, Mg)
Redsea normal test kits R800 (Nh4,No2,No3,Po4, Ph etc)
Total: R22 700

Additives:
Alkilinity ,CA,Mg R200/ 500ml bottle
Biodigest R 30/shot
Bioptim R 30/shot
NoPox R 330/500ml bottle

Coral food:
Reefroids R350 for a small pot (Will last you forever)

So this is sort of everything without any live stock on my 250 liter setup.

Obviously there are reefers who spend much more money because this hobby is a bottomless pitt but you dont have to spend a small fortune to have a successful or good looking tank.My tank is still very young(couple of months old)But i am getting there slowly.

You dont have to buy all new stuff.Dont be afraid to buy secondhand.

Hope this helps.

Happy reefing!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awesome, thank for the info.

I am asking because a friend of mine is selling his red sea 250 for R10000 and was wondering if this would be a good buy for me to buy? My whole life I have been in the tropical fish industry and I am very keen on buying and starting my first ever salt water tank.

I have done all my research, only problem now is to buy everything and would like to know your opinion on this tank?

91B2EC86-11EA-4DAC-8842-7FB6FC10AD12.jpeg

135C5D9D-BF79-408E-A155-15B02F689307.jpeg

Reaction score
Awesome, thank for the info.

I am asking because a friend of mine is selling his red sea 250 for R10000 and was wondering if this would be a good buy for me to buy? My whole life I have been in the tropical fish industry and I am very keen on buying and starting my first ever salt water tank.

I have done all my research, only problem now is to buy everything and would like to know your opinion on this tank?

91B2EC86-11EA-4DAC-8842-7FB6FC10AD12.jpeg

135C5D9D-BF79-408E-A155-15B02F689307.jpeg
That is very nice tank.love the reefer series of tanks.All depends on your budget.Good luck with the new build bru!!!

Reaction score
Hi guys. Im looking for a stand for a 1220 mm x450mm tank please let me know if you have or know some one who has

Reaction score
Hey johan there is a section to make posts like these.this thread is for my tank build and progress.go to hardware for sale or wanted items section.hope you find the perfect stand!!

Reaction score
Looking great! What are the names of the sps on left? Looks like green acro and stag horn and a smaller frag?
The little frag at the back is a staghorn frag the bigger one is a birdsnest an the one in the front is an acro of some sorts.Cannot remember the name.Looking at making the whole left side sps dominated with lps on the right hand side rocks.Softies inbetween.

Last edited: