Saltwater Mollies

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by dallasg, 12 Jan 2012.

1. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

So i often visit garf.org and on their frontpage they have a write up on them using mollies to control algae etc in their tanks, now GARF i assume is quite reputable in the marine trade, they even selling them.

Are certain molly species found in SW as apposed to brackish water?

If this was anyway cruel or frowned upon wouldnt there be an up-roar somewhere on the web?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

I have also read somewhere about the use of mollies to control algae in a reef tank. At first I also thought it was cruel,still kinda do.But apparantly if you acclimatise them over a couple of weeks,they do quite well in saltwater conditions. They develop brighter colours. I wouldnt encourage it but would also like to hear some other input regarding the mollies. I remember as a kid,we once caught a few guppies in a river leading out to the ocean,got home and added them to a normal freshwater tank and they didnt make it. As a little kid you saw guppies and thought,wow,free freshwater fish. but now thinking back I am assuming that they were acclimatised to salt water. is it possible?

Last edited: 12 Jan 2012
  4. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/mollies.htm

5. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

I had a mollie in my tank from start up for 18 months or more, acclimatized by dripping for about 45mins, was told I could add them to get the cycle going (I didn't know any better). He did really well and did control my algae to a certain extent. Then just like that, one morning he was floating belly up...:( my son still asks "where's Silver?"

6. 2balive

2balive

As always, wiki has a good write-up. [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailfin_molly"]Sailfin molly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

@belindamotion's WetWebMedia full article is also good one http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/mollies.htm

I will never condone the use of animals to cycle tanks. However there is definitely nothing cruel about keeping Mollies in a full marine tank.

Mollies in nature has adapted to (are found in ?) all environments (fresh, brackish and marine) and thriving/breeding populations are found in full marine environment in both the USA and Thailand.

In summary, they want a hard, alkaline, warm environment (pH 7-8, dH 13-19, temp. 25-28 C) and a stable, nitrate free environment. The salinity has no bearing on them. From above you can see that a reef environment would suite them well.

In terms of keeping them and breeding them in an aquarium, the most difficult environment to do so us (full) fresh water. They are disease magnets in full freshwater and you would need a discuss water quality tank to bread them. I have never seen a diseased Molly in brackish or salt water.

Also key is diet, they need green, plant/algea based food and lots of it.

My son loves mollies and (against my better judgment) convinced me to add a breeding pair to my planted discuss tank. The most beautiful ones for me are the "wild", green sail-fin mollies (Poecilia latipinna and Poecilia velifera) and a pair was selected and added.

Although this was a typical planted discus tank (acidic and soft), they adjusted quickly as the temperature, nitrate and stability was perfect and they had lots of food (may have a had a bit to much algea in the tank :whistling:). A little more than a month later we had our first batch of fry (about 20), at this point the discusses started taking note of them and enjoyed them. :biggrin:

The mollies got them back, when a pair of discusses started laying eggs the mollies started nibbling the discuss's slime coats. At a few Ks a discuss, I was not taking changes and the Mollies had to go.

Giving them away was no option (family pressure) and as I had to get rid of all my other FW tanks to start the marine tank, putting them in the marine was the only option. A acclimatized them over a few days and the result was great. They colored op beautifully, specially the male who turned a metallic green, my tank was cleaned of algae in days. I got fry every month, up to 70 fish at a time.

We successfully raised a number of fish and aclimitised the babies back to fresh water to give away (as we could not find any marine (snobs) to take them :p).

Mollies can definitely be kept in a marine tank, think they suffer a bit from a PR perception problem, much like guppies in the freshwater hobby.

7. dallasg

dallasg Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

thanks for all the posts!

while i dont recoment any animal eighter for cycling, was just interested in seeing them used for algae control

8. Reefhead

Reefhead

Why would you want a mollie in your tank anyway?

9. dallasg

dallasg Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

alot of coral farmers use them to keep algae out the prop tanks

10. 2balive

2balive

A good algae eater, and I suspect even detritus eaters.

Also used to produce very small, live fish(food) into the system. There is a moral debate here probable too.

Lastly it is a pretty (even spectacular) schooling fish (in some's opinion) to keep for many people, fairly hardy (if no nitrates) and relative cheap.

Recent Posts