Saltwater icecubes?

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Dlaria, 3 Aug 2011.

1. Dlaria

Dlaria

Can I make saltwater icecubes to help cool down my tank? I can't afford a chiller, and it's 109 - 114 degrees F here this week. My airconditioner just broke, so we're running on window units. The living room's lucky to get below 84 at night. (That's where the tank is.)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Elrond

Elrond

Freeze regular tap water inside a plastic bottle, once frozen place in the sump to cool the system down. Consider it one large iceblock. During summer I usually have 3-4 of these in my freezer, it helps periodically and then goes back up. The size of your system will obviously be key.

4. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Heat is carzy!!! Just remember, salt lowers the freezing point of water by ariound 4 degrees celsius, so make sure your freezer is set to a lower temp.

5. gaboon

gaboon

Use a high powered desk fan to blow over the surface of the water, very effective for cooling.

6. Dlaria

Dlaria Thread Starter

Thanks so much!

7. rakabos

rakabos

I use two 120mm pc fans, and also the frozen coke bottle - works like a charm and a LOT cheaper!

8. Tony

Tony

All god ideas and they work. Another thing is to remove excess heaters. Most of the heaters out there aren't reliable and accurate and you may think. If you set if for say, 26 degrees there is a good chance they are probably operating at a higher temperature. Dont think becasue you have three heaters in a tank and they're set for 26 degrees that are going to be off when things heat up. Look in your sump and you will see that some of them may even be on.

9. rakabos

rakabos

The icecubes idea is very intriguing though. I think the problem may come from the actual freezing process and chemicals that may get stuck in the ice cubes and then released into your tank. If you have a closed ice-cube setyp im sure that would work great. Im actually gonna look for that now ;)

10. Dlaria

Dlaria Thread Starter

Ok, I've only got a 60 gal. The LFS told me I am fine with my HOB filter, skimmer, (no sump); and I'm running the airstone and the water mover thingy. I didn't want to throw a coke bottle right in the tank, and I was worried about any leftover glue under the label getting something in the tank, so..... I looked in the freezer... low and behold... those frozen sealed plastic bagged tubes of pop-cycles! Floated a few (one at a time) around in the tank until they melted. Took me a bit of time, but it worked and was not a drastic fast change. Looked kinda neat to see one floating along with the current. Oh, and I took both heaters out when I set up the tank. Thought I'd get new, when it cools off a bit. (Yes, I washed off the pop-cycles and threw them back in the fridge.)

Last edited: 4 Aug 2011
  11. crispin

crispin

just a warning, if you added frozen salt water to the system you are effectivley adding salt and your SG would increase as the cubes melted.

having ice in a contained environment....bottle, sealed bag etc etc, will affect the level of the system though depending on the displacement, so make sure the sump can handle that.

12. Tony

Tony

Why not freeze RO water?

13. crispin

crispin

that works fine and adding the cubes to the sump isnt difficult but one must check SG of the tank regularly as you will most likely be adding more than is evporating. its far safer than frozen salt water though

Recent Posts