Salt Water

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by nakoma, 27 Nov 2007.

1. nakoma

nakoma

Everyone does water changes well I hope we all do some uses mixed water some uses natural water i have been wondering is it possible to evaporate sea water and take the salt and remix it as fresh sea water we do a water change and add some clean water but if you evaporate the dirty water you are left with clean salt or maybe I am insane :whistling:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

When water is distilled, all that happens is the water is heated, and the pure water evaporated, leaving the impurities behind, so if you are going to use NSW then get it from somewhere well away from esturies and sewer outlets, the further out to sea the better.
    And yes, you must be insane to start this hobby (well it helps anyway):)

4. nakoma

nakoma Thread Starter

i was thinking of taking clean water and evaporating it and reusing the salt mixed with water will this work or is everything doomed that swims in my tank the reason for me wanting to do this is it is mutch better to transpot 10 kg slat then to transport 240 L of salt water

5. Tridan

Tridan

The amount of time and work it would take to evaporate salt water would be huge,
    Much easier just to get nsw when you need to do a water change.

I am not sure if the impuraties in the water would stay behind with the salt after evaporation, but my reasoning would say that it would.

6. nakoma

nakoma Thread Starter

i am sure the impureties will stay behind but some people go on holiday and have the idea o maybe transport some water back home and if you are in a place where the water is nice and clean you could do the evaperation thing and give it a try i am very lucky having friends and family that does deep sea fishing every weekend so i have a endless supply of sea water that comes from very deep i keep a 1,200 x 500 x 500 tank with a pump to add the water in there for 10% water changes per week on each of my tanks and if the water gets to mutch i store it for a time in 2x 100 L drums but i dont like to keep it in there for more than 2 weeks i do that for incase of bad weather when my buddys cant go out fishing or maybe we get a oil spill LOL!!!!!!!!!:lol:

7. Tom

Tom

Just store the nsw in a dark container and it wont go off.

8. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

The evaporation would be pure water leaving the impurities with the salt, so when you mix it up again all the impurities would mix back into solution.

9. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

Initially I thought the idea was to take water change "waste" water and evaporate and re mix that but it seems it's to take clean NSW, evaporate and then transport the salt. The first idea obviously would have too many nutrients etc but I don't see any particular problems with the second one...

10. palmerc

palmerc

Apart from the impracticality (boil off about 25litres of water to get about a kg of salt) any life in the water would also die raising the organic wastes in salt.These organics would pollute the salt and give you issues with cyano, algae etc. Would be a lot less effort and cheaper to just use synthetic salt if you don't want to transport water.

11. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

Ah, didn't think about the poor little organics...

12. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

:lol: So to come back to your question...yes.

13. nakoma

nakoma Thread Starter

it is intresting to know you could actually just make seawater from the left overs of evaporated sea water but i think in the end it is just better and cheap enough just to go buy some salt ;)

Recent Posts