salt water storage

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Alias, 25 Mar 2011.

1. Alias

Alias

Hey, so I went out to get some NSW, but I have to go out for supper, how long can I store it for before it goes off? I can either do it late tonight or early tomorrow.

Help please :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dane

Dane

I often leave my NSW for a few days before using it. I always have a sniff before and if it smells fresh I use it. Never had problems.

I also store it in an opaque container and leave it outside, and always scoop out any bits with a fine mesh net immediately after collecting.

I certainly wouldn't worry if you're doing the change later tonight.

4. Tremayn

Tremayn

if you put in a heater and an air pump it should be fine for a few days

5. Dane

Dane

I just stick it in a container and leave it. If i'm leaving it for a fairly long period than I leave it in a spot that gets shaded light so an algal film can grow on the inside of the container. Unless you are collecting from warm water I don't see any advantage in adding the heater.

6. Alias

Alias Thread Starter

Awesome :) thanks for the speedy replies. MASA rocks

7. Tremayn

Tremayn

heater to prevent die off.. Remember a guy used NSW after it had been a while and the nitrates were high due to the plankton etc which died in the water. Rememberr that Dane? Alias but Dane is right, if you are going to do the change tonight or in the morning it will be fine

8. Dane

Dane

@Tremayn, Thats why i said the heater is pointless unless you are collecting water from warm waters.

If you heat "cold" sea water, then the organisms that are adapted to such will die, and vice versa. So what I'm saying is, if he's collecting cold water (I think P.E is variable? - average water temperature is 15-18 degrees Celsius in the winter and a comfortable 19-21 degrees celsius in the summer.)

So, if he's collecting 15*C water than heating it up to 23 would do as much damage as cooling 23*C water to 15*C. Hope its clear.

All that said, I think the waters are relatively warm now. But I don't know. And in any case, I don't think theres a significant amount of die-off in a bucket of NSW. I collect from the icy cape waters, and I just store the bucket in my bathroom (Ambient temp about 23-26) and I don't have any issues.

Bleh. If you want to be safe always test your water. I just sniff it, but its probably not the safest thing to do.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. Tremayn

Tremayn

lol oh! Speed reading.. my bad

10. Alias

Alias Thread Starter

haha, thanks for the input. i kept it for just under two days and its fine so thats cool. gonna have to find a better way of doing the water changes though than driving backwards and forwards to the beach. but everything is looking good for now.

@Dane, i also just trusted my nose. lol

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. Dane

Dane

Cool beans :) I just use common sense - if the water is kicking up a lot of froth at the sea when collecting, if there's a lot of suspended matter, or if it smells miff I just don't chance it. But of course 1st prize is testing the water before you put it in the tank. If theres a strong onshore breeze then I don't usually collect either.
    D

Recent Posts