Salt residue when mixing

Reaction score
So Ive had the issue myself along with a few other people. When you mix salt for a waterchange there may be left over residue in the container or on the heater or pump in the mixing container. Found this over on RC. The post was from a Red Sea representative.

Coral-Pro salt has elevated levels of Foundation Elements in order to allow accelerated growth in corals.
Therefore when it is not properly mixed it might cause precipitation.
There are a few reasons I can think of that might cause that phenomenon:

1. Stratification of the salt- sometimes when a bucket of salt travels a lot, the shaking and vibrating causes the mix to separate according to grain size.
    Dry mixing the salt, by rolling the bucket on the floor for a few minutes, or pouring the dry salt from one bucket to another a few times, will solve this issue.
  2. Mixing the salt with pre warmed water.
    I recommend mixing at ambient temperature, and then bring the temp. up.
  3. The pump you are using might not be strong enough, because of the elevated levels of elements in the salt, it requires a vigorous mixing.
  4. Adding water to salt and not salt to water- always add the salt slowly to the water.(I think that’s what you are already doing, but just in case)

Last edited:
hmmmm the only thing that might apply in my instance is to dry mix the salt. But then for the top salt it industry this shouldnt be the case should it. ......

Question is, is the remaining water you use for WC bad in anyway?

Whether there is residue or not. U should obviously wash ur mixing tub, pump and other mixIng utensils prior to doing the next batch of sea water.

Salts I've seen very little residue are Instant Ocean, Aquamedic, Tetra Marine. Red Sea does have the most though, why I only used it once. Seachem has residue, I just live with it now. Will try that mixing it up dry bit prior to making up a batch.

As i said in my last post:What i find helps with dealing with chalk build up is mix your salt with ambient room temp first, slowly add the desired amount of salt to your mixing drum of water (like half a cup every min) and make sure that there is sufficient surface agitation. This will make sure that Calcium does not combine too rapidly with carbonate ions to precipitate out as chalk... I never have an issue with a chalk bottom since I started doing this

Mix at ambient, then heat up -> Check
Dry mix before use -> Check
*edit* Slowly mix salt -> Check
:D

Last edited:
nice post rakabos
i soak my equipment in RO + vinegar after mixing, so far all is clean.
i also measure the salt by weight based on the brand, then add water to it, then once i have filled it i then check the salt levels, i have found that i am saving more salt this way as i am not making a to concentrate or diluted solution and saving time by not fixing it for 20-30min after

Back
Top Bottom