Salt Question

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Warr7207, 10 Apr 2008.

1. Warr7207

Warr7207

The marine salt we buy for our tanks I would assume is not sea salt, due to the salts all being so different in chemical make-up.

I would think this salt is extract from slat mines and minerals added to it ?

Is it too expensive to extract salt from the sea ?

2. Guest

3. Rory

Rory Admin

There is a brand that is basically dried up seawater but I don't think the idea works that well... I can't remember what brand it is (not a popular one). I remember one problem being that the tiny organisms dry up and die with the salt and then contribute to ammonia etc.

I imagine though to obtain clean water would be fairly expensive and it would be quite a process to maintain consistency from one batch to the next.

4. OP
    Warr7207

Warr7207

But in saying that I see that loads of reefers complain about the synthetics also being quite inconsistent.

When saying clean water, are you referring to NSW ?

5. Rory

Rory Admin

Yes NSW but preferably from somewhere out at sea... (Not that I believe is clean but I'm saying like for those NSW users :p)

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hey guys - I think that this was an age-old debate, and probably will forever be.

I would say - for people who stay close to the coast, and do not experience issues with it - use NSW.

For people who are NOT close to the coast - synthetic would be the way to go.

Then you just have to decide which brand of synthetic is value for money...

7. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

Instant Marine was the name of the local salt which asically evaporated NSW and bagged it.
    Absolutely hopeless when reconstituted with RO, it was `dirty` and parameters were all very low ie kH of 3.

Recent Posts