Salt levels

From experience with mixing large amounts of salt water, 20kgs sounds about right. 7.5kg's is way to little!

Not sure I understand why it does not work anymore? Has something changed?;)

Please post your spreadsheet for us.

Also not sure. I used it about a month ago & it was working perfect. When i tried it last night it kept on giving me the "current" salinity as the salinity to be added...
Will make my spreadsheet a little more pleasing to the eye & try upload it next week!

Don't think I am using it right
Spoke to Lfs and they recon 7.5 kg
So I am just as confused as before I started thread

Let me try explain it to you in a easy way...
When you mix salt, the "general" measurement for most high end salts is to add 35g of salt in a container & then to add water till you have exactly one liter in the container.

This makes a mixture with a salinity of 35ppt. (SG of 1.026)

So from this we can assume that one gram of salt increases the salinity of 1liter by 1ppt...

So if you have a salinity of 25.2ppt (SG of 1.019) and you want to increase it to 33.2ppt (SG of 1.025) you need to add 8 ppt (grams) per liter of your aquarium water (33.2ppt - 25.2 ppt = 8 ppt/liter)

You have 2500 liter of water which you need to increase your salinity of. Right?
So if you take 8gram/liter x 2500l...
You get exactly 20kg of salt!

Easy as that...

(Although this isnt scientifically 100% correct due to the other elements that is also present in the salt, it is a very easy & quite accurate way of determining how much salt you need!)
Hope you understand now...

Also not sure. I used it about a month ago & it was working perfect. When i tried it last night it kept on giving me the "current" salinity as the salinity to be added...
Will make my spreadsheet a little more pleasing to the eye & try upload it next week!
It does the same for me, looks like it's gone all wonky, I have found a better one though, it has a lot more options, like litres :p I'll update the calculators page with this one, but would also like to see your one if you're keen to share it with the world.:)

Target Salinity Calculator

It does the same for me, looks like it's gone all wonky, I have found a better one though, it has a lot more options, like litres :p I'll update the calculators page with this one, but would also like to see your one if you're keen to share it with the world.:)

Target Salinity Calculator

Of course, just let me make it nice and pretty & a little more user friendly & i will send it to you for review & if your happy, you can upload it to the calculators page.

Did some research and found your calculations to be true, so ended up buying another bag of salt, added a little to a skimmer sock, and let it slowly disolved in my Refugium.
Will check sg tomorrow and will slowly increase the levels over the next few days.
/ week.

Not quite sure how my levels got so diluted, but tank is happy so will have to monitor the tank carefully - puzzled I am

how did it then manage to drop so much then?
without you noticing or it setting off an alarm.

I had a little incident about 2 weeks ago whereby my live rock container was constantly over flowing and leaking , this took a while to sort out and obviously lost quite a bit of water

At the same time my top up decided to not to switch off and started to over fill my sump , which I then started to drain water , and ended up doing a mini water change

Obviously all these errors combined must have affected my levels . I was so rushed for time as I needed to leave for a family get together.
the change would have happened slowly on once all the new water plus top up water had mixed into the system

After last nights dose of salt, levels sitting at 1.0203

I had a little incident about 2 weeks ago whereby my live rock container was constantly over flowing and leaking , this took a while to sort out and obviously lost quite a bit of water

At the same time my top up decided to not to switch off and started to over fill my sump , which I then started to drain water , and ended up doing a mini water change

Obviously all these errors combined must have affected my levels . I was so rushed for time as I needed to leave for a family get together.
the change would have happened slowly on once all the new water plus top up water had mixed into the system

After last nights dose of salt, levels sitting at 1.0203

Why didnt you tell us this when you started the thread dude???

Thats exactly what i tried figguring out... Your system leaked 602 liters of tank water to be correct!!!

Back
Top Bottom