Salmon season canceled

Reaction score
Salmon season canceled 1:55
Salmon fishing is banned for the entire West Coast for the first time ever.

I just saw this video on the CNN website... its scary! the ocean is in a shocking state! only 90 000 salmon went back upriver to spawn last year, compaired to 800 000 in 2001....

I'll try and find more text on this

Coastside fishermen won't be allowed to catch salmon off the California coast this year, either for sport or commercial purposes, the Pacific Fishery Management Council ruled on Thursday. The closure results from record low populations of coho and Chinook salmon this year, eclipsing the past two seasons' already meager numbers.
"The only thing that can be done in the short term is to cut back the commercial and recreational fishing seasons to protect the remaining fish," said Council Executive Director Don McIsaac, in a statement.
The decision effectively means a six-month gap in income for fishermen and businesses that surround the fishing industry. The council estimates that salmon season, which typically runs from May through October depending on the region, generates more than $60 million for the West Coast economy.

The Council had been reviewing three options for salmon season, ranging from limited fisheries to no fisheries at all. The latter proposal won out, except for a small 9,000-catch fishery off central Oregon. Average catches for the entire U.S. coast averaged 800,000 between 2000 and 2005.

The Irony is, if theres a shortfall on any fish population, whether here or overseas, the first guys to be blamed is the shore fisherman.
I see it here at the coast too for the last couple of years: When new laws regarding baglimits is implemented, it is the shore anglers that gets nailed the hardest, but Longliners(from the middle east-in our waters) as well as Commercial fishermen and fishing trawlers is the actual culprits. I see Literally TONNES of fish offloaded from theses boats on a bi Daily Basis. Sad, very Sad:nono:

yea indeed.... scary thing is they are dumping millions of aquacultured fingerlings into the pacfic every year....

My dad always said that you will never ever outfish a dam/ lake of any size with a hook. That was 30 years ago- he was right, but they did not know about Trawlers/ Longliners and the huge Eastern Market then

wellllll.... if its a dam where they can reproduce you are right... i have seen guys empty a trout damn out....

Back
Top Bottom