Salinity?

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I have my salinity constant at 1.023. A well known reef guru has his on that and his corals are beautiful, so I followed him. On the other hand he doesn't really have fish.
Just wanna know, what you guys think is the right salinity for a mixed system? Or doesn't it really matter as long as it's between 1.023 - 1.026 and constant on one value? My tank does well on 1.023 but just would like your guys opinion.

Tobes consistency is the key. So if it's 1023, then keep it there.

FWIW, NSW is around 1026.

Doesn't really matter, consistancy is the winner here.

It depends how accurate your 1023 is, what are u using to measure it. Some things say it is 1023 but it may only be 1020.

Refractometer - and I calibrate it everytime before use.

The guru's has spoken Tobes ;-)

Look - I believe strongly that our live stock can adapt very well to our environments.... So - if yours is at 1.023 - don't change - just take care when acclimitizing life stock. Minding that it might come from higher salinities....

How do you do that? I was thinking this today and what I did was checl RO DI and got O...

You just answered you question - that is how I check mine, if it is not on 0 then you turn the screw till it's on 0 (when using RO/DI):wave2:

Look - I believe strongly that our live stock can adapt very well to our environments.... So - if yours is at 1.023 - don't change - just take care when acclimitizing life stock. Minding that it might come from higher salinities....

Just wondering what if I wanna use sea water for a water change now and then in the future? Surely I must adjust my salinity the same as nsw? That can only be done over a few days and I can't keep sea water in buckets for so long. I might as well change it then? Saw what nsw does for a tank on a water change. The same as what alcohol does for you - makes you beautiful!:p

A slight drop in salinity for live stock is not as stressfull as a rise in salinity. Same as a rise in PH doesn't stress livestock as much as a drop in PH.

For fear of being trampled and beaten by the masses, I will quietly say that I run my tank on 1.021 and all fish, corals and clams are happy and growing. But I do plan to slowly raise it up to 1.024 over the next couple months.

It depends how accurate your 1023 is, what are u using to measure it. Some things say it is 1023 but it may only be 1020.

This is a very good point! Hydrometers lose accuracy dramatically after just a few uses if they're not meticulously maintained.

I do agree that consistency in salinity is important, but it's even better to be consistent at the right level. It doesn't matter so much for fish, but there are many more sensitive marine invertebrates that will suffer at salinity <1.024.

Well then you don't want to hear when I last did a water change :whistling:

Now tell me, what is your excuse for that? Age or just lazy?:razz:

This is a very good point! Hydrometers lose accuracy dramatically after just a few uses if they're not meticulously maintained.

I do agree that consistency in salinity is important, but it's even better to be consistent at the right level. It doesn't matter so much for fish, but there are many more sensitive marine invertebrates that will suffer at salinity <1.024.

Hi Sara. Do you say I should raise mine from 1.023 to 1.025? Will that be better?

Very true, in almost all books I have read and online informational sites about recommended parameters for certain species that I have looked up, it is almost always recommended to keep a salinity of 1.024 - 1.026.

Back
Top Bottom