Salinity

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by herkie, 16 Jul 2011.

1. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

I notice just about everybody is happy with a salinity of 1024. It makes me wonder why, the salinity of our local waters are not nearly the same and varies quite a lot.

This year the water I collect is on average around 1022, but a few years ago when I started I always had to add fresh water to get the level down from readings of up to 1028. I seem to remember the water we collected for SK's concrete tank was around 1026.

I am using the same mechanical perspex tester and I have stripped it down and cleaned it to see if it does not give me a false reading due to settlement on the needle and it did not change.

These differences in readings does not seem to have any effect on the fish we get in the local waters and the bit of coral that have not been taken off the rocks does not seem to be unhappy either.

My question is why are we striving for 1024 when the reading from the oceans goes up and down?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. rob189

rob189

tagging along

4. Relborg

Relborg

Tagging too - interesting question

5. CJT

CJT

I think I'll also tag along as I was wondering this just the other day.

6. lIghty

lIghty

Herkie, I think most reefer aim for 1.024 - 1.025 is its probably the avg of the areas where most of out corals are imported from, some corals do prefer higher or lower SGs compared to others, so unless you have a tank of corals that require a specific SG, need to get a happy medium.

Also thinks to consider about SG:
    • Influenced by temp.
    • Doesn't just indicate Salinity!
    • Flow of nearby rivers can influence it.
    But stand to be corrected :whistling:

7. seank

seank

I have always run my tanks on 1026. For some reason it worked for me, and still does. Never had any fish disease nor coral disease and the "unseen" critters are/were/was always plentyfull

8. seank

seank

Are you running your tank on 1024 Herkie??

9. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

Ocean salinity does not only get affected by rivers but also by rain out at sea. Fresh water floats on top of salt water and can stay separated for up to 24hours before mixing takes place. Where waves break it mixes faster. When it has not rained for a long time the salinity will go up and if you collect somewhere quiet like where waves do not break, you can be scooping near fresh water...

I always collect in waist deep water where the waves are breaking and just under the surface to avoid the skimmate. Rain or shine, 1.024... :thumbup:

10. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

OUr tanks are not a natural environment so need to be kept as stable as possible for the benefit of the organisms we keep. The oceans salinity/temp/etc does fluctuate, but does so slowly.
    As Lighty said, 1.024 is a good average.

11. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

12. herkie

herkie Thread Starter R.I.P.

I must admit I do not have specific salinity level that I keep my tank on, I sort of monitor it and start raising it if it goes lower than 1022 and the opposite when it goes above 1025. It sounds as if it goes up and down all the time but it really takes quite some time to change significantly. I might be very lucky but I have never had any disease or similar pest in my tank.

13. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

This is similar to what i do, i check it about once a year and make the adjustments, but that is on a fairly large system.

14. herkie

herkie Thread Starter R.I.P.

I have about 350l only and should keep my my parameters more stable-but on the other hand we all need some time to go to the beach dont we? I will add an extra 100l sump to the system in the next month.

Recent Posts