Salinity tank water / water from LFS

Reaction score
Evening all. I am new to salt water. My tank has been up and running for 4 months, i have added 2 clowns 1 hermit crab and a couple of snails after a full cycle. I have been running my tank at a salinity of 1.025 and around 33ppt for the last couple of water changes as that is left over water i had when i got the tank.
I went and got a new batch of premixed salt water and see that the salinity is 1.027 and 35ppt, my question is , can i add the new batch of saltwater premix at these levels during my next water change or will if affect my fish and snails. Thanks

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
Evening all. I am new to salt water. My tank has been up and running for 4 months, i have added 2 clowns 1 hermit crab and a couple of snails after a full cycle. I have been running my tank at a salinity of 1.025 and around 33ppt for the last couple of water changes as that is left over water i had when i got the tank.
I went and got a new batch of premixed salt water and see that the salinity is 1.027 and 35ppt, my question is , can i add the new batch of saltwater premix at these levels during my next water change or will if affect my fish and snails. Thanks

Hi Jonathan

welcome to the marine side of life.

basically i would calibrate the LFS water to be the same as yours before addition to your system, various systems run either HYPER (high) or HYPO (low) salanity and there are different reasons for this.

HYPO generally being associated with disease controll or prevention of outbreak.

perhaps next time take your testing instrument with to the lFS and check it against theirs, calibration may be out on either yours or theirs depending on hos diligent they are with maintenance.

my advice is to take as much controll over your water (from RO to mixing stage) as possible.

you will learn that this will take alot of guessing when and if something goes wrong, to be able to quickly problem solve and set a corrective course.

good luck with your system i hope to see more of it on the forum.

all the best.

Les

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Les. Thank you for your advice much appreciated. i would presume i can just add RO water to the saltwater mix to bring it to the level of my tank.

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi Les. Thank you for your advice much appreciated. i would presume i can just add RO water to the saltwater mix to bring it to the level of my tank.
my pleasure

deffinatley, a little ro and check, but i think its very important to ensure your testing instrumentation is infact correct, otherwise you could infact do more harm than good.:m106: