Urgent help needed Salinity Spiked

Reaction score
Good Evening

I have a 350L tank and my Salinity spiked in the past day after my water change.

I dont have a RO Unit. Normally I buy RO water from LFS.

The salinity is currently on 1.030.

Any Suggestions?

Regards

Reaction score
Yes Everything is still alive. I did test it with my refractometer. I did test my water before doing the water change. Im not sure what caused this to Happen. Is the best suggestion to bring the SG down slowly by adding small amounts of RO water every 24hour? Thanks for the reply.

Reaction score
Really im not sure. I dont think so. Sorry Im new in the marine tanks. I had tropical for a long time and moved to marine 3 months ago

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Okay there is no where I can see ATC.
I bought it from the fish store in my area. I did attach a image of it.

What is the difference between ATC and a non ATC?
That refractometer is an ATC refractometer. Normally refractometers have an indication on the outside of the instrument.
If you look at the scale, you will see 20/20 that means that the instrument is calibrated at 20c and is compensated to 20c. If you do not see 20/20 or 25/25 then the instrument is not ATC.

ATC is (automatic temperature compensation) non ATC has no temperature compensation.

Did you calibrate the instrument? Do you know how to calibrate and use the instrument.

Don't do any water changes or try to correct anything until you are sure your instrument and you are getting correct readings.

Reaction score
question: What is the problem other than your salinity being "high"

How is the livestock?

If it is high bring it down slowly by removing some water from the system, dropping it back into your top up bucket and add usual RO water, I have a 1000l system, it consumes 10-13 liters of RO water a day, that's the best way to do it, if you don't see any negative effects on your livestock now, just do it gradually.

Reaction score
very good information in that link i posted last night, including tips on how to calibrate a refractometer, and plenty diagrams explaining how the instrument works etc.. always best to know in detail how something you are using works, especially if it is crucial to the survival of life.

Top Bottom