salifert vs red sea pro test kit

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Philip.Cloete, 11 Jun 2013.

1. Philip.Cloete

Philip.Cloete

Hi there

I used salifert test kits to test ca and alk in the past, the kits got low so I switched to the red sea kits

The readings I get when comparing the two kits is way different so now I have these kits and have no idea which one to believe. I dont have a lfs that I can take a sample to so was hoping someone can give some input.

The salifert kits is about a year old and the expiry date is : 2016 so I dont think its beacuse they are old.
    Got the red sea kits from jungle aquatics so they will also be good.

Here is the readings:

Alk (salifert) : 7.6dkh
    Alk (rs) : 10.9

Cal (salifert): 400
    Cal (rs) : 490

Theres a huge difference as you can see so which one do I go for I understand that th best way to get the correct value is to get a standard solution but as I said I dont have access to anything like that in this place I call home so please any inputs would be appreciated.

Also to add something I added some sps corals about a month ago and have kept my parameters stable with the salifert and you can see some really nice growth on them and good colour aswell.

PS: I stop the tests when the sample colour changes eg from blue to red and have done two tests of each to confirm readings

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. scubaninja

scubaninja

Hmm, I used to use salifert and they were always spot on but i see your problem of not being able to see which is true :/ Even if someone else gave you a comparison, it doesnt mean that its exactly the same for your kits

4. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Shoo, I have used both and they are always pretty accurate and always have very, very close readings. How many times did you do the tests?

5. Philip.Cloete

Philip.Cloete Thread Starter

Did 2 test of each which totals to 8 tests. All whithin 30mins

6. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

i was having the same debate with some friends about which test kit is more accurate. so the other day after testing my tank water i decided to do a quick test.
    i mixed a cup of RO water with just enough RED SEA coral pro salt to bring the salinity to 0.025. i waited about 30 min and tested using my red sea test kit and the result i got was exactly what i expected it to be. Ca-440 Mg-1340 and Alk~12
    i have problem reading the Alk test and im not sure when exactly the color changes to the orange they have on the comparator but its somewhere between 0.84 to 0.88 of titrant used.

7. Philip.Cloete

Yes also had a problem with the alk test. I watched the video on youtube where they (the guys from red sea) do the test. On the video you can see when to stop and take the reading but I agree that the colour on the colour chart (end colour) is never exactly the same as the colour in the sample bottle, it is supposed to be a pinkish colour

8. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

but in all honesty the reason why i decided to use the red sea test kits is 1) they are easily accessible to me 2) red sea also makes supplements which i believe go hand in hand with the test kit and lastly because i hate how cheep Salifert test kits look like but of course thats not a real reason why one should not use them

9. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

when the local ISP sort them selfs i'll also watch the vid on youtube. he Internet in Swaziland has been really pathetic in the last few days

10. Philip.Cloete

Yes the vids clears things up a little. I also switched to red sea beacuse I use the coral colours range and the reef energy also got the coral colours test kit range which takes a long time to test everything but as you said the quality of red sea just looks and feels better. But I cant say that rs is any better than salifert beacuse I have never done any real accurate measurements with eather where you test something of a known value so who knows some prefer salifert and others rs but the question is has anyone ever done any real testing with the two to compare values.

Also with the dripping of the titrant you cant be always sure that you get the right values beacuse you may stop dripping before I do. We can test the same solution with the same test kits and get 2 different values.

Anyway I dont want to make this too complicated I just want to know if there is some way I can know which of the two kits I should trust I dont mind a small difference but the values I get is completely different so if I adjust my cal and alk values according to the rs how do I know im not altering the values for the worst.

As I stated I had good growth on the sps and im worried that if I change my values now that it can have a negative effect on the corals.

Maybe I should just slowly adjust the values to what I want and see what the corals tell me. Its all about them so their opinion wont be wrong........

11. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

I also used to use the salifert test kit before switching to red sea.
    I now use their iodine, potassium, fe, alk, calcium, magnesium, phosphate & nitrate! I have found all the tests to be very accurate as i have checked them with a fresh mixture of aquavitro salinity & red sea coral pro & have always been spot on. (Max deviation was +-5% with the fe test)

On the other hand, the salifert was almost always unclear when they changed color as none of their products have a color chart & the instructions isnt nearly as simple to follow as the RS. The accuracy was sometimes to more than 20% compared to the RS.

I dont think salifert is a bad product at all... Just more difficult to understand the manuals & less specific on how to test.

IMO, i would much rather believe the red sea results & slowly adjust the perameters according to that. Your corals wont get any damage if you do it over a week-2weeks

12. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

I hate it when test kits come with those little bottles and it tells you to 'add x drops of this' and 'x drops till colour change'.

One must bear in mind that the less tank water used the test, 5ml opposed to 10ml for example, the more sensitive the test will be to errors.

Syringes should always be used in my opinion with test kits as they give definite volumes used. But one must also remember how to read the volumes correctly. i.e when in a glass vessel, the volume should be read from the bottom of the meniscus.

13. Philip.Cloete

Ok thamks for all the replies I also think I will go with rs and see how the corals respond.
    Will post again in a few weeks to give results

Recent Posts