Sailfin tang needs

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Someone that I know whats to sell his sailfin tang. (well he actually want to sell all his life stock, he has alot of problems with hairy algae, and he don't have time for the tank anymore.)
I'll post a list of all the other lifestock a bit later on (yellow tang, wrasses, liferock,shrimps ext).
I want to buy the sailfin, but i'm not sure what is the needs of this fish.

Can someone please help out?
What size tank do i need, coral safe, aggresion?

Reaction score
well tangs are aggressive to each other, so if you have other tangs you may need to take this in consideration. Mine is rather docile and gets along really well with my bristletooth. Mine eats flakes readily but really enjoys nori for a treat. They do require a decent swimming space aswell. what size is your system as they can get rather large

Reaction score
well tangs are aggressive to each other, so if you have other tangs you may need to take this in consideration. Mine is rather docile and gets along really well with my bristletooth. Mine eats flakes readily but really enjoys nori for a treat. They do require a decent swimming space aswell. what size is your system as they can get rather large
I have a 300l display tank. My tank is bigger than the tank in which the tang is currently hosted.

Length - 1.5m
width - 48cm (+-)
hight - 49cm (+-)

Reaction score
yeah that will be good enough, do you have any other tangs currently?
:yeahdude:
Nope - none.
But this dude was keeping the sailfin with a yellow tang -no problemo there....
But i'm only interrested in sailfin - don't have the money for both, as i'm looking at buying some of his liferock as well....

Reaction score
well the only issue with the tangs would be when you are trying to introduce a tang into another tangs territory. i.e to a new tank where a tang has already set up its territory. so you should be fine:) go for it. which sailfin is it? it like mine? mine is the bigger finned version with bigger colour bands

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Raven, As Scubaninja said tangs are agressive toward each other, but usually only toward the same species, sailfins are Zebrasoma, as are yellows, purples ans gems for example, they can fight with each other as their shape is very similar, but the tend not to be agressive towards other tang species such as the Bristletooth, which is a Ctenochaetus species or Acanthurus species such as the Powder blue.
Both the sailfin species do get VERY large though, they can reach around 16 inches in the wild and may reach 10 - 12 inches in our tanks, they grow fat and big, they eat loads, so leave a lot of waste so it might be hard on your water perameters if you kept it for a long time.

Having said that, if it needs rescuing from a small tank, you could at least foster it for a while.