Saga pH Pen Calibration - how to...

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by jacquesb, 16 May 2009.

1. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi guys - I just bought myself a new Saga pH from Idol Marine! Awesome assistance, Louis - thanks. PS: Did you guys get the battery operated pumps?

OK - to get back to my thread:
    HOW THE HECK DO YOU CALIBRATE THIS THING? I have never owned one before - so, for some people, this MIGHT be a stupid question - for me, it's not ;)

So - please help?

The instruction booklet is basically useless - tells me what the probe consists of, and just says "Turn the knob to calibrate the pH pen" - WHAT KNOB? I have now disassembled the unit completely, and was not able to find a "adjustment knob" anywhere?

It's this one:
    pH Pen Meter

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Thread Starter Retired Moderator

OK - don't worry. Thanks in any ways. I found some obscure PDF file written by some univercity, explaining how the meter should be adjusted.

Here goes - this is how you do it:
    1) open the rear cap on the pH pen - by unscrewing it
    2) look JUST behind the batteries, there is a recessed area
    3) in this recessed area, you find 2 sunken screws - tiny, tiny screws. With a number 1 and 2 next to them (labeled)
    4) place the pH meter into the pH 7 solution (that you get with the pen), and switch it on.... wait until the reading on the pen stabilizes
    5) then, with the battery cap still open, and then pen's probe still in the solution, start adjusting the screw labeled 1 - using the supplied tiny screw-driver (yellow)
    6) once you have reached the correct pH, remove the pH pen/probe from the solution, and rinse in RO/DI (or if you have, rather distilled) water...
    7) repeat these steps for the "other" pH solution (if you have done pH 7 first, repeat the steps for pH 4.01).....

Cool!

4. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Jacquesb. I do not know if this applies to the saga PH meter but most others like the Hanna and Aquatronica probes have to be calibrated with PH7 and PH10 calibration fluids. So the fluids supplied (PH4 & PH7) are for fresh water and will give you incorrect readings in sea water.

5. jacquesb

Thanks for the heads up Nemo's Janitor..... Hmmm.... I am wondering why my tank's pH is showing 7.9 with the pen, while the test kit is showing 8.2 then.....
    Think that could be the reason?

6. Jaak

Jaak

Do you have calibration fluid? I've got, if you need.

7. jacquesb

Hi Jaak - thanks man. Yes - I did receive calibration fluid with my pen. A pinkish solution, which says pH 7 on it, and a greenish solution, which says ph 4.01 on it... Or could that be the other way around? Now I have confused myself.... I will have to scratch the box out and have a look again! ;)

BTW: I am also attaching the PDF that I found.... quite an interesting read (but NOT from the Saga supplier though)....

Attached Files:

8. Jaak

Jaak

Coolio...

9. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

I don't know this unit, but if it's only half decent it should be able to be calibrated in EITHER pH 4.01 or pH 10.01, so after doing the pH 7.00 calibration try putting it in pH 10.01 buffer and adjusting the second screw (I'm presuming that it has a built-in "auto-detect" calibration function...)

If this does not work then rather look at buying a more suitable instrument.

Hennie

10. jacquesb

Many thanks ReefManiac! I really appreciate the advice!

Keep well!

Recent Posts