Safety Factor for Rimless tanks

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Louis Scheepers, 22 Aug 2011.

1. Louis Scheepers

Louis Scheepers

Hallo Hennie

I am planning a rimless tank, but I'm not sure which safety factor to use on your calculator.

The Aqua Tools calculator is for rimless tanks, but give the same thickness as yours... so is 3.8 sufficient for rimless, or what should we be looking at?

Would be great to get a standard for future reference!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Louis Scheepers

Louis Scheepers Thread Starter

Well, I found a thread on RC where they say that it should be 7.6

What do you guys think?

4. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Hi Louis,

Firstly, let me again state that it is not my original design - I merely created the Excel spreadsheet to allow for easier calculations. There is a link to the original calculator/article on the calculator page.

The safety factor would (or rather, could...) be the same. The calculator is for an un-braced tank, but it is obviously better to add some bracing if one can. The actual safety factor is not directly related to whether a tank is braced, rimless, etc, but rather on the level of risk one would be prepared to accept. As an example, IF the tank is located in a quiet living room, inside a fully framed cabinet, and resting on a strong concrete slab with minimal deflection, then one can accept a lower safety factor. IF, on the other hand, one has active, smallish children and the tank is located in a busy walkway, or in a public space (such as a restaurant), then a safety factor of 3.8 might not be enough.

As far as I know, the original calculator was also based on a design for a fresh-water tank. Marine tanks are slightly heavier (salt water...), and one should be aware of this. More importantly, the calculator does not cater for surging water movement inside the tank. This can impact seriously on a tank's long-term integrity, and I would suggest that one should either add bracing to a marine tank, or use one size thicker glass if one planned to install a "wave maker" or "surge device", especially in a large tank.

On a rimless tank, I would suggest that as a minimum, one ensures a decent silicon joint "chamfer" on all the joints, and include euro-bracing around the bottom pane.

Hennie

Last edited: 23 Aug 2011
  5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

And another downside to rimless tanks are that snails tend to climb out very easy with rimless tanks. Especially those you collect while on holiday. :)
    With braces they tend to wonder until they upside down, then the stay put.
    Else you have to check around the tank twice every day to spot any strays.
    And fish do jump out easier with rimless. With braces, and if you are lucky they hit the brace.

Rimless is nice. But only if you do go totally without canopy. Else, no visual gain. Except maybe easier access?

Last edited: 22 Aug 2011
  6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

having built a rimless tank for myself recently let me say its a daunting thing to have in the house..

i am actually considering bracing mine.

when i clean near the top edge of the glass rim at the water level water almost always spills out the tank no matter how slow i am with the magnet, (and i have a 7cm space from water level to top of glass) the average is 3cm

i havent had any fish jump out but its a constant worry, and i do check the floor upon entering the room before i look at the tank.

theoretically you can tale 30% off of the tanks lifespan where braces are omitted and surge pumps are in use.. (researched this on RC and ultimate)

you will get a bow in the front pane the longer the length of the front pane and my tank is 15mm all round, i should have gone 19mm on my front as my back is supported by the overflow.. so a thicker front is something worth considering.

there is alot of glare shed off of the water surface from the lights... it gets distracting and im actualy considering framing around the top to cancel this out..

i spend a lot of money on my glass as i went overspec (15mm when 10mm braced would have done) and i honestly would rather have it the old way..

7. Louis Scheepers

Hennie, if I understand you correctly: keep the safety factor at 3.8 and if the calculator says 8mm, go for 10mm; if it says 10mm, then go for 12mm, etc?

Riaan, I like the rimless (no canopy) because you get a beautiful top-down view as well! I had the problem with the snails in my QT tank, so was also thinking about that. Maybe I should just put a little Eurobrace at the top... but I prefer the clean look!

Maybe I should start a thread "Rimless vs Braced" and hear what people think!

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

there was one, search or ask @viper357 if he can find it.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. Louis Scheepers

Leslie, I have read that the water spillage with the use of a magnet cleaner is a issue everyone experience with a rimless tank.

I don't know if it is just me, but my magnet cleaner scratched the glass of my previous tank to badly (even though I always made sure that it was clean, with no sand and stuff trapped in it) that I never want to use one again.

A soft dedicated cloth works perfect, or a blade....

I can't make up my mind, but I love the rimless look. I built a little 30cm rimless cube for my wife's goldfish, and even that looks awesome!

10. Louis Scheepers

11. leslie hempel

the rimless concept is very modern and very stylish..but its not the type of tank you would build as your last built ;)

12. Louis Scheepers

Will any tank ever be your last built?! I haven't even started building the tank and already the size changed two times!!! Luckily I built a bigger frame...! :lol:

Oh yes, I cant forget the 1.5m I was planning... had most of the equipment for it, and it never was completed... seems like a problem with a lot of reefers!

13. leslie hempel

yep. we are addicts...

14. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

In my opinion, yes - especially if you are going to employ a wave maker or surge device... but then again, that would not really be practical in a rimless tank, would it?

Hennie

15. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Couldnt agree with you more on that Les. Too much of spillage, and whenever I walk past the tank, my Emperor loves bathing me. But no doubt its damn good to look at.

Recent Posts