Safely cleaning zoas from tank & eggcrate

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Marine007, 13 Aug 2012.

1. Marine007

Marine007

I luckily read this before cleaning a frag tank I bought :Beware zoas can kill you - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

The tank and eggcrate especially still has zoas stuck all over them. What do I use to clean it without poisoning myself? (Hot water was plan A, but that has been scratched ...)

The tank should be easy enough to clean by just applying enough pressure with a scrubby spungy thingy. The eggcrate stand though is a different story.

Would appreciate any safe suggestions.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Why do you want to kill the zoas on the eggcrate? Why not just scrape them off carefully and stick them to bits of liverock?

4. Marine007

Marine007 Thread Starter

I want to clean the tank completely and set it up as new - don't want to risk bringing something over from the old tank. Don't fancy zoa's after finding out how toxic they can be (have small kids in the house).

5. 459b

Zoas sitting quietly in a tank arent going to pose much risk to small kids. Id be far more concerned about tank breaks, electrocution etc than than small kids potentially coming ion contact with zoas.

How many zoas are on the eggcrate? Seems a waste to just kill them, depending the number, i dont mind scraping them off and donating to other reefers.

6. Marine007

Marine007 Thread Starter

Tank has been standing empty (no water) since Thursday - so not sure if they are alive or saveable. (I bought a tank and didn't expect anything alive in it...)

My daughter always "helps" me when I do maintenance on the tanks. @Galibore pointed out about a reefer whose dog died in minutes after eating a zoa that was left on a table. Don't want that.

Tank bursts & electrocution risks I can control because my tanks are in my office at home and door is locked when I'm not there. Much more worried about poison because my daughter likes sampling the fish pellets ....

Last edited: 13 Aug 2012
  7. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Zoas are getting such a unnecessary bad rep these days. Everyone is afraid of them. In actual fact, many of the corals in our tanks are toxic. If she had to sample any of the corals she could be in danger of becoming seriously ill. It comes down to teaching as well. You teach your kids to look before crossing the road or to buckle up when in the car, so teach them what zoas are and to leave them alone.

Last edited: 13 Aug 2012
  8. rakabos

rakabos

I handle zoas all the time - they not that hectic if u know what u are doing

9. 459b

If the tank has been empty since thursday then im pretty sure everything is dead. You going to have to use a brush and scrub them off. Or if you really are worried, throw away the eggcrate and buy a new piece - its not that expensive.

Agree with MAarius - zoas are getting very bad publicity lately. In the case of the dog, it didnt eat one zoa, it munched an entire colony. There are lots of things in your tank that can cause serious injury.

Recent Posts