safe adhesives for coral/rocks

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by AntS, 18 Jun 2010.

1. AntS

AntS

I've been putting off glueing my frags down because i'm not sure of which adhesives are safe.

Help?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. PeterL

PeterL

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Super glue (both the gel and the liquid) as well as Pratleys putty are safe to use.

5. Adee

Adee

If u after a good underwater putty that does not cloud up...Alcolin's AquaMend works for me.
    Otherwise any of the "super glue's" work well, the gel being better.
    I've experimented with hot glue (glue gun) using the clear glue tubes, on sps frag's, so far corals seem fine with it and by far is the most easiest to work with.

6. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

I agree 80% only one thing what about the hot temp from the hot glue won't it damage the frag?

7. Adee

Adee

I would be the first to admit that the sizzling sound of a damp frag against a glob of hot glue, makes my hair stand up...

I fragged one of my big acro's today did half with superglue and the other half with hot glue...want to see which encrust quicker. Overall I've done about 20 different types and size of frags with seemingly no effects on the hot stuff.

8. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Adee, please keep us posted with the heat issue. I really want to know what the die off rate on the base of the SPS is like.

9. Adee

Adee

Well I've yet to suffer a loss of a frag...have done lots. But this time doing a better test as I'm fragging from the same colony (blue acro) in terms of sizes. 12 small pieces in total, half with super glue and the other half with hot glue.

The advantage with superglue is that you only really need only just a drop (less is more...) whereas the hot glue you need about double if not a more. This results in the frag having to encrust about 2mm over the glue before hitting home on the frag plug (in my case I'm now using marble shower tiles) Because less glue is used with super glue, the encrusting frag sets almost immediately onto the frag plug.

Will let you guys know in a couple of weeks.

10. PeterL

PeterL

I have still found the plastic product I found at builders to be very simple to use, the heat which may be come in contact with the frag is minimal. You can handle the heated plastic pellet with your fingers and as soo an it comes into contact with the cold, it hardens up. The disadvantage is if you stick wrong, you are stuck with the plastic pellet as a permenant fixture of the rock you are trying to glue the frag to...

I just use the idea of plan twice, look twice, then move quickly to ensure it is done right - really not much different to using super glue IMO

It is however faster...Lift the rock up, put the required qty of plastic pellets you need (frag size dependant) on the rock, pus the frag into the softened plastic which is in a prestic like textured state and it hardens almost instantly from the cold frag. You place it back in your tank immidiately so the least amount of stress to the coral because it it out of the water for minimal time. It shouldn't take you longer then litterally 1 or 2 or wasting time at 3seconds.

Last edited: 20 Jun 2010
  11. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Peter I've searched builders here in ctn & zip they have never herd of this pellet.

I would still not try the glue gun as I only have softies.

12. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

This sound like a great product to me, the heat damage could be minimized by using just a tiny drop. The rest of the coral mounting area that did not get in contact with the slight heat could then attach to the rock very quick.

13. PeterL

PeterL

I got it from Builders Warehouse in Boksburg, I would have thougt the supplier or stocks wouldn't be different between the branches.

If you want, I can get you a bag and send it down for you. The things is, you use so little of it at a time, like 1 pellet - 2 if you have to, that you can share with a few guys down there. If you need more I can just grab it here and send down as you want/require. I can assure you that with the volume in the bag and the ammount you use in a singly application, it will last a long time and being plastic, just never goes off.

I like the stuff, when heated up in hot water, it is like prestic, so it only works with either hard corals or things whic have a stone/rock attached to them already. Things like lose Zoe's and mushrooms you would have to use an alternate product because this wont work. For those things, I go with Gel Super Glue - how often are you trying to get 2 rocks to stay together - I reckon it is the perfect stuff for it. Drying time is instant and once stuck, things stays stuck...It can allow for some really interesting aquascaping ideas.

14. Adee

Adee

The prestic putty like plastic (when heated) stuff only down fall is the non existane adhesive quality. Its great for attaching frags directly in holes made into LR....however hit a miss and u will have to cut off the plastic end (and frag).

I plan to use the plastic stuff when i move my corals to my new set-up...as each piece will have to be cut off the rock and mounted in its new location. I will pre-drill the landscape in my new tank and shove the stalk in there and hold with the plastic putty.

15. ESP

ESP

Should aquamend set hard enuf unda water to hld rocks 2gether, the bits i used for frags have remained pliable. Any advice on the matter?

16. Adee

Adee

yes, Aquamend will do the job are u using the one in a green roll?

17. ESP

ESP

It's the Alcolin Aquamend with green outer and white centre.

18. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Hey Adee I just bought these plastic pellets that you used & was wondering how your coral was doing after mounting to the LR? just a bit nervous trying this stuff.

19. rakabos

rakabos

Hi

Do you know what this product is called?

Recent Posts