Saddle nennie or not

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by xtreme, 8 Apr 2010.

1. xtreme

xtreme

Hi all

Ok in previous pics of mine you told me my nenie need more light, I took the pic with the tanks night light on, but after that wasnt sure any more, so moved nenie to new tank and use small light for a week and then fitted a second one, ( ok normal bed lamps with energy saver, its my QT tank) The nenie is still sticky as hell and eats like my dogs, just to make sure if he is ok I rather ask you guys, he was in front of the tank but moved during the day to a shadier spot, just ate and while posting this expended 2 times the size then now, ok, is he fine? and what is his true name, swoped it for a hippo tang:p
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Xtreme - this is a carpet anemone.

I agree that they need a LOT of light (more like a 150 watt metal halide or even more)..... BUT, that said - I have been keeping them now for the past 2 years, and mine have always "shied" away from my 150 watt metal halides. And I also feed mine 2 times a week.....

4. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

lol JB, feed like every day, thanks

5. Anemone

Anemone

What exactly are you feeding, and how big of portions and how often?

I would swap out that substrate for sand. I’m a bit confused on the lighting that you have. What are the dimensions of your tank? How long has it been running? What are your water parameters?

6. FransSny

FransSny

Hi JC - I think I understand your lighting and no energy saver lamps is no good for a nennie, I agree with JB on maybe going MH.

Also as Anemone said look at changing that gravel substrate. If it is a QT tank I would not have any substrate as this provides a "hiding / breeding" place for parasites, bacteria etc.

A carpet nennie was not a good "swap" IMHO...they tend to eat your LS (I have actually seen one take a lionfish !)

7. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

That is my second QT tank, the first one is a plane one, that one I'm using as a holding tank, water parameters, PH 8.1, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates .01mg SG 1.025 temp 25, running, uhmmm goss, think 6 months now, tank is 40cmLx50cmHx40cmW, no sump, only a hang on 900L/H skimmer filter, some biological and activated charcoal in there, I keep that tank tip top, my back up tank, water changes every weekend, 20L

I did had sand in there before but difficult to siphon, when i put the nenie in there I also put my only real LR in, one that have life on it, the other LR in there was a rip off from supplier, so using that one to seed the other, since I put it in there about a week ago I see new things starting to grow on it, still to small to really be sure what it is.
    The light is a energy saver 4000K cool white and one warm light, did it because you (MASA members)said I need stronger light for the nenie, the other tank where it used to be in had only 4x 6500K 36W t8 in and one coral blue tank is 70cm deep so that's why I moved it to the stronger light, but he doesn't like it, he keeps him self to the shade, I remember you told me once before with a LTA that keeps running it was damage and will get use to the light later.
    feeding, lol well, sick he isn't, so sticky his tentacles sticks to my finger and tear off when I was staging the LR ( don't worry his fine) he eats about a 3cm piece of food every day, now and then I skip it for 2 to 3 days before feeding him again, food, octopus,shrimp,black mossel from our see, fish, basically the sea mix foods, doesn't like the crab, lol

Frans, ek sal sy gad slaan as hy my visse eet:p

That's my only nenie, I'm verry protective over him, seems if I order nenies I never receive them thats why I was so deperate that I exchange him for a hippo tang:p

8. Anemone

Anemone

You shouldn’t be siphoning the sand.

This is household lighting, not reef aquarium lighting and is not sufficient for anemones. Do you have a link that you could post to this thread? I don’t remember the details.

9. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

Ok this weekend I'll put in some sea sand and all lightning I have is t8's 15W for that tank

10. Anemone

Anemone

T8 lighting isn't sufficient lighting for this anemone. You really need to invest in some much stronger lighting if you are going to keep this anemone.

11. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

We don't have T5 lightning for aquariums here in swakop and no light units for a 46cmL aquarium.
    Just a question, I have this anemone now for 9 months (+/-) was under 10000K t8 tubes and was about 4cm, since day 1 he always move to a shadier spot. he is about 20cm now fully opened and still going to shadier spots. when he finds his spot he stays there and never move.
    Can also say, when my new coral tank is finished he is going to go in there, light unit have a 1x 150w MH and 2xT5blue and is about 100cm long, but it's going to take at least 6 months before I put him in there.

12. Anemone

Anemone

Do you have a picture of this anemone when it was 4 cm?
    This anemone appears to be lacking color and the tentacles are not as long as they should be. Both can be signs of starvation that can be caused from lack of lighting and/or food.

13. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

I have to look for a pic, starvation of food, not really, he eats every second day, maybe light yes, but why so much light if he keeps to the shade.
    looked the same from the beginning, don't have a fancy camera to take nice pics:(
    Ok he is not going to my coral tank, just red up since you confirmed it is a carpet.
    Saturday he is getting a 10cm sand bed, he liked the big tank with 15cm sand bed.
    only got 10000K lights and the tank water level is at 40cm so I think 2 white and one coral blue should be fine, just worried the light might roast him, he is family:p
    then another project for him, my first cube 80cmLx80cmWx60cmH, that maybe I'll start after my coral tank is finished, got 4 saddle back clowns he might enjoy!

Thanks for info ANEMONE
    just got info from http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_3/capranem.html

What one might he be, I think the Stichodactyla haddoni

14. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

The best I can do with pics, he got a slight green colour on its tenticals, you cant see it in the pic, he was pink from the beginning, he is my first gay anemone:p and I love him

[​IMG]

15. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

This one was taken in beginning December

[​IMG] 2 x 10000K T8 lights see some green on that pic

16. Anemone

Anemone

The lighting you are providing isn’t benefiting the anemone. Perhaps he’s waiting for the sun to shine again.

Until the anemone starts to recover, I’m afraid to guess what species this is.

17. Q89

Q89

Xtreme, how is the Anemone doing?

18. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

Hi guys remember this anemone
    [​IMG]

This is now, a day after it's in a new home

[​IMG]

19. robvdv

robvdv

Saddle anemone and saddleback clowns. Good going, cowboy :)

20. Anemone

Anemone

The anemone is a bit small to host those two clowns. Be careful.

21. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

Why must the sand bed be 10cm for carpets or saddle nenies? The clown fish keep digging the sand away around the nenie and messing up every thing.

@Anemone Sorry didn't see the last post, the nenie is way bigger than on the picture but the clowns isn't with that nenie anymore

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts