Sad Tail

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by PeterAmos, 8 May 2014.

1. PeterAmos

PeterAmos

So I started with 30 odd big beautiful fish and now I'm down to about 19, white spot has been the culprit. I have spent a small fortune on combating it but I don't have the facilities to quarantine so many fish. Fresh water Dipped them a few times (the ones I could catch) with a little methylene blue and its helped. Nor do I have access to large volumes of sea water. There are a couple more on their way out but it looks like I'll have to wait this one out and then sort the tank out with whatever is left.
    I seem to be having more fun with filter and plumbing designs and creations that with fish!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Try adding vitamins to the food, a really good one is "VitaChem" by Boyds, so long as the fish are eating there is hope still, chin up and good luck.

4. Jinx

Jinx

Hey well this is what help for me.Add a big uv unit to your plumbing,make sure there is a slow flow through the unit.Go to pick n pay buy some crushed garlic and use the juice and dip their food in it

5. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Note that adding a UV steriliser will kill all bacteria good and bad...

6. Jinx

Jinx

Agree, but then again he doesn't have to run it all the time.He can switch it off ones his problem is solved and back on again if needed that's how I do it

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i feel your pain, i went thru the same in 2012, look for a formaldehyde dip

8. PeterAmos

PeterAmos Thread Starter

thanks guys, I did put a 30w uv in yesterday, got garlic in the food. Tried Ice cure stuff that's reef safe and pocket foolish R410 per bottle and I need three!! Big tank syndrome. Haven't tried vitamins so why not.

9. Jinx

Jinx

That's good remember slow flow through the uv....vitamins are also very good.

10. PeterAmos

PeterAmos Thread Starter

thanks, just bought the vitamins went home to put them in, Found my yellow tang dead and my golden spotted Rabbit fish well on his way out. My other trigger fish is missing, suspect he went to fish heaven. Anyway I guess as RaaainP would say "The cycle is only complete when the dead has been eaten. Guess I must have a good cycle about too happen lol

11. Jinx

Jinx

Sorry for your loss....can you post a pic of your fish and your water parameters please

12. PeterAmos

PeterAmos Thread Starter

mmm pic of fish yes (although is sad) water parameters no, busy collecting 1000liters from the aquarium tomorrow, doing that every 2/3 weeks, so I haven't bothered with the water parameters other that ph which is 8.1 and temp which is normally 26/7 but I took it up to 30 to try speed up the cycle of the ich. It works like a charm with fresh water ich, but didn't do much with the salt water version, anyway I didn't leave it there for more than 2 days. My tank has +/- 1600 litres of water after calculating for the rock etc so its big enough to be stable with regular fresh sea water. Massive skimmer, UV light loads of live rock, deep sand bed, kwalk.... stirrer and my soon to be Home made algae scrubber. The tank however is not mature.

see my setup on this other thread http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/anything-diy-related/52315-move-setup.html

13. PeterAmos

PeterAmos Thread Starter

those pics where when the fish where happy, the uv light you see has been changed for a much larger one.

14. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

I remember this thread and meant to ask there but got busy I think, pic 7 of the fill up, looks like you're using a garden hose, I hate to ask but was the water used to fill up the tank from your household tap or is that hose coming from a salt water storage container?

15. PeterAmos

PeterAmos Thread Starter

you mean I cant add salt after??? Ive got cheap supplier of coarse pool salt that I can just add.:tt2:

16. PeterAmos

PeterAmos Thread Starter

No just messing with you. I have a pump and I pumped it from my 1000l jojo can of fresh sea water up through the garden hose :blush:

17. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

Don't feel alone, added Yellow Tang to my Six Month Old system I'm netting dead fish everyday, just one wrong fish and losing it all now.

18. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

Did you buy the tank with all the rock and fish?

19. Snoek

Snoek

Its a pity you dont have a small tank to qt the fish. Try get one bud . It does not need to be big at all. I once had bed whitespot on a purple tang and a few other fish. I placed them in a small tank with only a heater and 2 air pumps. I then added copper to the water and fed them food soaked in crushed garlic. I did a 50% water change every 2nd day. I then tested the copper level and dosed accordingly. I had the ich sorted within a few days but left the fish in the copper for 14 days. Once I finnished the copper I ran them in hyposalinity for an extra 14 days. Once that was done I never had whitespot on the fish again.

20. PeterAmos

PeterAmos Thread Starter

I just got a small tank setup, got one dude in it last night and hey he's still around. Small steps. Getting a load of fresh sea water tonight I'm sure that will perk them up a little.
    EFJ yip all the rock and fish, didn't introduce anything new.

Recent Posts