Sad sad sad... Shame

Reaction score
Hey guys

What a disappointing weekend. After reading all about the nice diving near Balito, I had to go have a look... What a horror that was!!!

We went to a few pools and two in particular was disturbing. In the first pool there were many wrasse and many many beautiful hard corals. We saw other people diving for fish there. When I finally got under the water, to my horror some of the corals were broken. One in particular was about 60cm and it was broken into many many pieces lying on the ground away from the rock. Why someone would do such a thing tickles me... it was really sad to see.

We later went to another pool and met a lady, claiming to be a Parks board representative, showing us a card, saying that we not allowed to collect anything. We respectfully agreed to it and had a nice chat with her while she explained this is a protected area and the fish cannot get out of that area. We were told that we are not allowed to dive with flippers, and again followed the rules.

But it seems it was just us following the rules...

A few minutes after we had a dive, sitting chatting, what do I see? Oh look! a diver with flippers... and Parks board lady sitting on the beach, not far away. Well, who am I to say anything... but watching the diver, the young girl climbed out and went straight to the Parks board lady's umbrella and put down her flippers right there. Wow. I didnt know it was her choice to say who can and who cant use flippers...

And then the jackpot. About three meters from us sat two boys about twelve years old fishing out sea urchins and breaking them open with a stone.... and Parks board lady says nothing... Oh, and what about the kiddies catching the little fish with their netts and throwing them on the beach....

It was really sad. Well, I am going again... hopefully this time it will be better.

All we caught that day was two two tone wrasses.

No worries dude, The horror i experienced in sharm el sheikh was worse, german tourists with crocs, marching all over organs pipes and acros, 15 year olds doing 30 years of damage, the only thing one can do is watch and tryu to educate

and what is even worse, is that we were told that the fish in the man made pool can not go out of the tidal pool . So the fish in there stays in there and 90 percent of the fish in the pool is parrot fish . Nice grow corals for food site is what it is supposed to say . And we were told by the lady that if we catch anything in rock pools if we will please release them in the tidal man made pool . I wonder does any of them know what they are doing . I then told this lady about the corals we saw broken into pieces and she informed me that .... Oh if a hard coral is broken it is dead . Really what can one say to this conservation sounds like a day dream theory . I think nature conservationists in Egypt knows more . lets brake up corals and build hotels .

Last edited:
I would report her...somewhere someone might do something about it...you have Facebook...twitter...youTube...blah blah blah...I would have taken a snap shot of her....or recorded some of it with my phone and do a youTube exposure...:blush:

Lets form a Parks board police... I will return to the same pool and hopefully see that lady again...

Lets form a Parks board police... I will return to the same pool and hopefully see that lady again...
I like that idea...as "silly" as it may sound..it just takes one person to start taking pic's and/or video clips of this type of behaviours...one turns to two and so on...soon we could have 10 or 15 "divers" with the odd indiscretions on video and BLOG it on a Site...someone is sure to notice...especially if more gets added, when word of mouth spreads..:blush:

Back
Top Bottom